Untitled Document

Advertisement Click to advertise with us!

CSO - a really "good" one!

I was just browsing Amazon.com for Christmas wishlist ideas, and came across a hot pink plastic clarinet. For $89 you get a clarinet - that has awesome features such as a barrel and a bell! They throw in a free matching mouthpiece (hot pink...), and 11 free reeds. Oh, and a screwdriver. 'nuff said. LOL

"Clarinet Shaped Object," for those that were wondering.

I mention some "Chinese Knock-Off" horns in this thread. They do have clarinets and other woodwinds available. Imagine: a Buffet R13 in hot pink ....

FWIW, I had one of the clear plastic Buffet clarinets with the copper keywork. That WAS a really decent little horn. Wish I still had it.

Gandalfe, :emoji_smile:

My husband, being the jokester that he is, brought up the idea that it would be worth $89 just to see the look on everyone's face if I showed up at band practice with a hot pink clarinet. I'm sure the look would indeed be priceless..... but I think I'll keep my money!

I have an old Bundy plastic clarinet (have no idea what "model") but it was like a tank. Doesn't play too well anymore with dry-rotting pads and corks but if it were fixed up it would still play. :smile: And it didn't need to come with it's very own screwdriver. I need to get it fixed up so it can serve as a backup if needed...

Thanks for clarifying my title, Pete!

Watch for Leblanc or Vito "Dazzler" clarinets on ebay. They were made in a variety of colors, they play well and are very well built. A better way to spend your money

The Vito dazzlers are an excellent choice for kids. I personally like the vitos, of course they're no Leblanc Bliss but they can teach someone the fundamentals.

On the other hand I really don't know that there would be too many band-serious high schoolers who would be willing to risk their dignity on a rather bombastic looking clarinet.

Not a bad idea for a joke, though!

I once dated a girl back in my post-military days...

...who had a green 'cello, used for rehearsal and outdoor purposes only. (She had another for "good" use, and owned both of them.)

She was a stunning, knockout kinda girl, with the "California Girl" look of long blonde hair (and she was a real blonde, too - a rara avis in 1970's Saint Louis, I assure you), quite talented in the folk music end of things (she once appeared on the Ted Mack Amateur Hour (a sort of proto-American Idol, for all of you young folks too young to remember ol' Ted)), and was probably using me as a summer boyfriend, to fill her empty time.

We met over a summer orchestra performance of The Swan of Tuonela. The conductor brought her in specifically to play the solo 'cello desk, due to the exposed nature of the solos in that part.

During all of my humongous periods of rest in my part for that Sibelius masterwork. I was able to sit there and watch her play her two long, expressive solos, plus all of the held notes in the continuo, pausing only to throw in my ten bars of flawless bass clarinet playing. This was one of the many times that I thanked whatever gods there are for being a decent bass clarinet player.

(Dukas' The Sorcerer's Apprentice was the other featured work on the program; neither of us had much time to look at the other in that bit of stürm und drang.)

We did spent quite a bit of time socializing at the local Dairy Queen following the hot summer night rehearsals. I started out going there with a group, but by the last rehearsal, it was just me and Barbie. After the performance, I cinched the deal by taking her to a late supper at Cyrano's, a local coffee house.

(There are few girls or women alive that can fail to be swayed by the romantic atmosphere that the place provided. It has moved two or three times since, and is now open under new management, but it's still a good place to visit. It worked its magic on my current wife, I do know that.)

Somewhere else hereon appears the Hollerith card story, in which she played such a prominent part. Too long for me to repeat it, and the search function doesn't help me much either. If it is not here (Pete?), let me know and I'll copy it in. It combines music, computers and young love, all in one not so neat package.

It was my one flawless relationship. We met cute, both sets of parents (my mother and father, her mother only) positively adored the two of us, we had plenty of fun time through the balance of the summer (including quite a bit of sailing and a performance run of West Side Story in the community theater pit together), worked the amusement park together (her in the cast, me in the pit) and (after she went away to school that fall) I never had to deal with the unpleasantness of breaking up.

My only subsequent contact (if you could call it that) was with her mother's application for dependent's educational allowance for her and her sister, in the days when I was working for the then-Veterans Administration. I approved it, of course...

I've tried a gazzilion "no name" (i.e. sold directly by the factory) Chinese clarinets and some are actually very decent. I have a Chinese bright green clarinet which is TERRIBLE. Tone is not good and intonation is awful and makes it impossible to play really. It was $50.

I've tried a gazzilion "no name" (i.e. sold directly by the factory) Chinese clarinets and some are actually very decent. I have a Chinese bright green clarinet which is TERRIBLE. Tone is not good and intonation is awful and makes it impossible to play really. It was $50.

Thanks for the info but Terry's response was a much better read, though lacked any info on a green clarinet :)

What's with us barbies and folk music? ;)

Back
Top Bottom