DEG C Melody Replacement Case

For what it's worth I purchased a DEG C Melody replacement case; fits Conn (Wonder and New Wonder), King, and Buescher C melodies by my personal testing and would presumably fit virtually all.

The case was poorly written up at the DEG site but, after a bit of correspondence, they cleaned up the specs on line. Again, the case does indeed fit vintage C Melodies.

As delivered it seems fairly sturdy with an end handle, reinforced corners, and good secure latches.

I did some whickering in the case but it would have been fine for most folk as is. I'm a bit fussy about having the horn absolutely immobilized with the main hold on the front of the bell close to the bow so that a bump is less likely to transfer to the body via the bell stay.

The old cases, even when not held together by copious quantities of glue and duct tape as a result of time's ravages, just beg to have RH thumb pieces and low Eb guards driven into the body and frequently don't even offer accomodations for the neck beyond forcing it into the little lidded compartment or using the time honored "sock on the neck in the bell" method.

Last edited:
That's the one! I bought one for a King which I acquired from EBay. It came jammed into a gig-bag clearly too small for it.

The new case was such a success that I bought a second to house my old Conn.

Worth it for the neck compartment and end handle alone!

Note that while the description says, "Same specifications as SC13 case" the actual case turns out to be longer, deeper, and wider than the SC13 which is the alto case. I pestered customer service at DEG (their customer service at first told me the cases were identical on the outside based upon what they had on their screens) and actually got DEG to remeasure and correct the information both on their site and with their customer service reps! Dillon has the "old" blurb.

Good cases. I also like to add extra blocking or padding, but as is, they fit everything and protect much more than a plastic case or a bag.

Back
Top Bottom