Do Games Like Rock Band Help Musicians

Gandalfe

Striving to play the changes in a melodic way.
Staff member
Administrator
I was watching my kids and grandkids playing Rock Band II on xBox. They have a bass now so I played that for a couple of the songs and I noted two things. One my damn foot was tapping to get the beat so I could anticipate the music. I couldn't get past the 'easy' level in the few songs I sat in.

The drums are amazing and look like this now:

ion-drum-rocker-premium-drum-set-for-rock-band-2.jpg

So music educators, is there any value to a music student who plays these kind of games? I know that if at the very least they play this instead of Halo, at least they are getting something, but that's a cop out.

I'm not a music educator anymore, but my wife is.

She's played Rock Band. I've seen Guitar Hero.

They teach a bit about rhythm, I suppose, but that's about it. As far as Guitar Hero is concerned, I have a friend that's a pro guitarist and he's not as good at GH as another of my friends who's more into air guitar.

Jim,

I was talking to a friend of mine yesterday who got a guitar several months ago to start learning. He also recently got Guitar Hero or one of those "guitar type" video games.

I asked him if it actually was beneficial at all in learning guitar? He said musically no but he found, after playing the video game, that he had actually built up more strength in his fingers and could reach the different chord positions easier.

I'm thinking the drum version probably can help with timing and rhythm as well as endurance for a young drummer.

Didn't help me...

I had Guitar Hero for Wii (won it at a charity auction. Kept the Wii) and sold it almost right away. Why? Because as guitarist myself, it was so much not like playing a real guitar I couldn't even deal with it. The buttons have no feel and are too spread apart. The "correct technique" is nothing like a real guitar. The game is more like playing a pinball machine. You have to respond the light bars not the real music. Get it right and you get a bunch of lightning bolts (just like a pinball machine) not the exploration and evolution of a new wonderful musical experience.

Maybe over time these games will become more like playing a real instrument. I don't know. But to me, there just another path of least resistant for kids and their parents. I think they rob kids of their natural creative juices and talent.

My grandkids have the one with drums. It's more a game. You score points by hitting the pad the game wants you to hit when you are supposed to hit it.

I'm thinking "Flight Simulator." You miss the seat of the pants thing.

Last edited:
My niece has been playing Rock Band, and liked drumming so much she actually started taking real drum lessons.

Her father bought her a Roland V-drum kit, though I'll be very interested to see what happens when she finally gets on an acoustic kit.

At least her drum teacher is getting her to learn real notation.

As far as the guitar thing goes...that controller is useless.

I would say no, it doesn't help.

Unless it's perfectly synced up the parts aren't remotely close to the beat.

In the case of the set up at my house, I find the parts are significantly behind the beat. I don't have much trouble with it, but it's still a pain. I like playing the drums, good times. But Bass is my fav; I play that on expert.

Long story short, games such as rock band, are just that, games. I'd say for the most part that the majority of kids won't have the musical maturity to separate the two.

Mind you, that doesn't stop me from wanting "saxophone hero" or "big band hero" or "jazz combo hero" LMAO! Mind you, they would have to make it compatible with midi wind controllers!!!! The way I see, if you build it (or make it) they will come!!

Back
Top Bottom