eBay Collections

pete

Brassica Oleracea
Staff member
Administrator
Essentially what it says on the tin: you can "collect" auctions and make them into a virtual gallery that's mainly pictures, rather than the ad. Here's the run-down and an easy-to-follow guide (PDF).

While I haven't read the fine print, I've started a collection here. The things I need to find out are:

* Only eBay US or worldwide?
* Do your collection pages and pics go away after a month, like with most eBay auctions?
* How many items per collection can you have?

Considering that hard drive space is extremely cheap -- you can get 4tb drives for under $180 US -- it's possible that Collections are permanent.

I noticed the collections thingy on eBay today when I went to save an auction to my "watched" list. I'll have to do looking into this, but it looks interesting. I'm curious if it strips out the text and save only the pics, or if all the text is saved as well. I'll poke around some and see what I can learn. Perhaps an alternative to filling hard drives with pics of horns that don't belong to me?

Here's what I know, so far:

* It's worldwide, to an extent. If I find an item on ebay.de (for instance), I have to look on the ebay.com website for that item number, then I can add it to a collection.
* When an ad closes, it doesn't disappear from the collection. I still don't know if it'll disappear in a month.
* The amount of items you can add to a collection is at least 37, which is what I'm currently at.
* The unfortunate thing is that the pics are 800x600 or so, even though the original ad could have bigger pics.

> I'm curious if it strips out the text and save only the pics, or if all the text is saved as well.
Both are retained. If you hover your mouse pointer above the big pic, a "film strip" pops up so you can see the other pics listed. Click on the "More Details" button to see the original ad.

At this moment, my plan is that if I see something moderately interesting, I'm just going to add it to the eBay collection. If it's really interesting, I'll download it.

OK, so it's been over a month since I've started to play with this thing and I still think it's kinda kewl. Also, while a lot of the auctions I "collected" are over, they're still in my collection and the original ads are still available.

I mentioned in my last post about non-US eBay 'sites and collections. After further review, I'd say about 75% of the ads I've hit on eBay.de can be added to my collection. However, eBay.de has a "slideshow" thing that is only available from inside eBay.de. The collection doesn't retain that. An example: check out this ad on eBay.com and the same one through eBay.de. On eBay.de you can click the big pic and get an even bigger pic. You can't on eBay.com. (A smaller complaint is that the German ads in my collection will say "Item Unavailable," even if the ad's still active.)

So much sax! I wish I had more time.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think I see the problem. The direct link only works if you're signed in to eBay. I replaced the link with one to the collections page. You have to click one more time, but at least it works.

================

It looks like eBay has completely rolled out this feature to their French and German websites, so I can addd most, if not all, of those countries' ads to my collections.

Back
Top Bottom