Untitled Document

Advertisement Click to advertise with us!

Elkhart clarinet (by Buescher)

The Elkhart Band Instrument Company was formed by the presidents of Buescher and Conn in 1923. Buescher took full control in 1927, operating the company until 1936, when Elkhart was dissolved. After that, Buescher used the Elkhart name for their line of student instruments until the name was retired in 1959.
They made a lot of stencil instruments, which is of some personal interest since my first clarinet was apparently a stencil.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elkhart_Band_Instrument_Company
And in 2018, I bought an Elkhart clarinet, Built by Buescher, of uncertain vintage, but old enough for the dye in the ebonite to fade to a very attractive dark olive. Not a bright enough green to endow it with any magic powers, I'm afraid.
It comes in a slimline case proudly emblazoned "Elkhart, Built by Buescher", so it dates between 1927 and 1959.
The serial number is 57901. I don't suppose anyone knows where to find a list of Elkhart serial numbers.
At first examination, it holds a vacuum fairly well, so the pads seem to have some life left. The cork between the joints is wobbly and needs to be replaced, and the cork on the cheap no-name plastic mouthpiece is damaged, so it's time to buy a Hite.

IMG_1587.JPG

IMG_1588.JPG
IMG_1589.JPG
IMG_1591.JPG

https://forum.saxontheweb.net/showt...-Instrument-Company-Saxophone-registry/page12
Based off saxes, serial puts somewhere in the late 20s or so.
Are you sure the clarinet itself is an Elkhart though? That's a 40s or 50s case. In addition to that, the clarinet itself is newer than the 20s-probably a bit post ww2, as it has separate posts for E/B and F#/C#, but the throat keys only have 3 posts. To my knowledge all the EBICOs had the same serial chart, but if I'm wrong on that, then please point it out.

https://forum.saxontheweb.net/showt...-Instrument-Company-Saxophone-registry/page12
Based off saxes, serial puts somewhere in the late 20s or so.
Are you sure the clarinet itself is an Elkhart though? That's a 40s or 50s case. In addition to that, the clarinet itself is newer than the 20s-probably a bit post ww2, as it has separate posts for E/B and F#/C#, but the throat keys only have 3 posts. To my knowledge all the EBICOs had the same serial chart, but if I'm wrong on that, then please point it out.
I'd also like to add, as it won't let me edit that, that (most) any clarinet can be put in (most) any case, so take care when basing manufacturer based off of the ase. If the case meant that was the manufacturer, that would make my pair of Selmers be Protecs from the 2010s, and my 1880s E. Albert made by Selmer in the 1960s.

The bell also says Elkhart, so I'm going to assume the case and clarinet are a match set.
If the case and clarinet features are both post war, that places it in the Buescher student model range. That narrows the time window down nicely.
I suspect the clarinets had their own serial numbers, so the sax numbers wouldn't tell me anything. If it were a cornet I might be able to get more info. Elkhart seems more famous for their brass, much as Buescher is famous for saxes.

There were a multitude of manufacturers in Elkhart, but this wasn't a "Made In" stamp on the body, it was the logo on the bell.
Barring further information, the best guess is that my Elkhart and Champion are both Buescher Elkhart student models from the 1950s.
I wish I could find more documentation to confirm or disprove it, but with so many maufacturers, it's tough to find info on any but the few largest.

Back
Top Bottom