embouchure/MP ?

I recently bought a Kessler low-c BC and got thier stock mouthpiece. The MP is very stuffy & I would like something free-er blowing.
I use a double lip embouchure and I like the control and sound but there seems to be too much resistance. Any suggestions on a
MP for someone using a double lip embouchure?

I have a Kessler, but not a double lip embouchure. The stock mouthpiece that came with mine would only play decent with a Fibracell Reed. I think pretty much any Vandoren mouthpiece would be a step up. I have used a B45, Bay MOM, and my own refaced mouthpieces that are very open.

I'm using a 2.5 legere reed. I place it a bit lower on the tip than I would a normal clarinet placement. It seems to respond a bit better that way.
Would a larger tip opening would give less resistance?

I almost hate to say what I actually recommend because for me, a Walter Grabner "Lawrie Bloom" mouthpiece (which is *very* expensive) fixed all my voicing problems on bass clarinet. (I'm a doubler.) I really like the Kessler low-c bass clarinet, I have played some of my students and been very impressed. If the supplied mouthpiece does not do it for you, I suggest you try others. There is no one perfect mouthpiece for all players.

Thanks everyone, for the helpful suggestions. Mojo; very informative video. I did like the Bay mouthpiece you demo'ed but I see that they are just about as expensive
as the Grabner that was mentioned above. Does the 'duck bill' shape mean that the MP is thinner from reed to the top bite area?

Thanks everyone, for the helpful suggestions. Mojo; very informative video. I did like the Bay mouthpiece you demo'ed but I see that they are just about as expensive
as the Grabner that was mentioned above. Does the 'duck bill' shape mean that the MP is thinner from reed to the top bite area?
Yes. I show the modification in the follow-up videos.

Back
Top Bottom