Extended techniques: Help with score for clarinet

Hello, this would be a question for fairly advanced clarinetists. It concerns a music score with extended techniques for the clarinet, both bass clarinet and the common Bb clarinet.

If you saw this in a score, would you know what to do? Bb clarinet:

animal.png

Also, this multiphonics passage looks incorrect. Is it passable, or should it be scored a different way? Bass clarinet:
multiphonics.png

Many thanks in advance.

I know what I would do, but I am not sure how I would describe it. I am referring to the sound effect of the "sad, crying animal" BTW.

As a sax player first, I learned all my advanced techniques on that instrument. I apply all of those to the clarinet when it comes to bending, shaping, and effecting notes' colours like described the score shown.

For me, these tonal effects come from my throat, in combination with my tongue position and facial muscles. I simply hear the sound in my head that I am trying to achieve, and then shape the tone accordingly.

I play both bass and Bb clarinet, but never studied them beyond a couple years in university as my double. That's why these techniques are not something I really learned on my double. I am therefore certainly not an advanced clarinet player by any stretch, so anything I say should be seen through that lens. ;)

Anytime I see "sad, crying animal" I think of Klezmer music.
And I'm certainly not an expert in that. On facebook ... i'm drawing a blank on the person I'm thinking of .. retired Army, Klezmer player - I'll edit his name in when I remember it.

I reviewed this and it seems fairly straight forward for sad crying

and here's the same person on multiphonics

Thanks Steve! I knew we could count on you for this!

BTW, I take exception to what she says about the clarinet being the only instrument that can make this sound. Soprano and smaller saxes are very capable of doing it as well. ;)

Yes, thank you for the replies, though it would be even better to have someone give an opinion on whether the notation is actually correct or not.

Here are a couple guys, also not on clarinet, who would take issue with her claim as well.

Yes, thank you for the replies, though it would be even better to have someone give an opinion on whether the notation is actually correct or not.
notation looks correct. Or ... which notation are you asking about ??

the sad and crying animal section is basically a glissando up with the sad and crying animal sound
j1.jpg

The slide, or for a woodwind a chromatic drop is common in jazz music. Think of a guitar where they simply slide their finger up or down the fingerboard from one note to another like Bass Guitarists love to do (right @Gandalfe ?).

So basically near the end of the half note play a D, then C#, C, B, Bb, A, G#, G fairly quickly of which you could go from f to pp.
Then the second one starts on C#, then quickly C, B, Bb, A to end and hold at G#
slide.jpg

Reactions: Rev
Thanks Steve! I knew we could count on you for this!

BTW, I take exception to what she says about the clarinet being the only instrument that can make this sound. Soprano and smaller saxes are very capable of doing it as well. ;)
It's actually easy to emulate.
First one simply learns to hum while playing. Then you can vary your humming notes and stuff while just playing one solid note on the instrument.
Fairly easy.

I used to be able to add a second "singing" note in to that too to play, hum, sing a chord. I should make a video of that ....
of course it gets really fun when you learn to Talk while holding a note.

Thanks. What about the multiphonics passage? Would you say that the notation is correct?
well it states "multiphonics - somewhat free"
so it's correct for what it is. it could add "ad lib" like but the "somewhat free" covers that.

It's actually easy to emulate.
First one simply learns to hum while playing. Then you can vary your humming notes and stuff while just playing one solid note on the instrument.
Fairly easy.

I used to be able to add a second "singing" note in to that too to play, hum, sing a chord. I should make a video of that ....
of course it gets really fun when you learn to Talk while holding a note.

I first started all these techniques on tenor. For me it all started when I listened to Gato Barbieri's Caliente album while still in Jr. high. I wanted to be able to play like that. It took a long time to master all those vocal effects he did.

Now I can, and do use them, when I solo. My personal favourite is the one where I am screaming through the horn at the same time as doing a gliss. Used sparingly and in the right piece, it is a jaw-dropping effect, especially if combined with a bit of reverb and delay.

I should mention that any effects/advanced techniques I practice whether that be multiphonics, altissimo, what have you, are my partner's least favourite. I am accused of "torturing" the cat, or "strangling a chicken". itd_3d_ani_w60_smiles_037.gif

The slide, or for a woodwind a chromatic drop is common in jazz music. Think of a guitar where they simply slide their finger up or down the fingerboard from one note to another like Bass Guitarists love to do (right @Gandalfe ?).
Having played much music written for violins, anymore I don't have enough air. LOL. A good composer knows the instruments he writes for, their strong notes, and the breathing needs of the musician. Just sayin' ...

Back
Top Bottom