Untitled Document

Advertisement Click to advertise with us!

FAQ: What's this Area for?

pete

Brassica Oleracea
Staff member
Administrator
Ed Svoboda said:
I'd like to create a [Hot] Deals section .... We could use it to report any good deals that come through. For example, WWBW has a 15% off code this month on accessories. I picked up a protec case for one of my baris for a really good price. I'd like to share that kind of information.
I wanted to add two other things that were suggested by the staff:

* Freebies: In other words, "I have a (insert piece of musical gear) that's free to a good home. All you have to do is (pick it up/pay for shipping)."

As a personal note: if you have any musical instruments of any kind that you just want to get rid of -- and they're in "easily repairable" or working shape -- my wife's school (in Tempe, AZ USA) would like them. You can contact me directly at thesaxinfo@gmail.com. Or post here.

I will also put in a 'nudge' for any instruments that are in that same category of "easily repairable" or "working shape", as we live in the corner of SE Mo and NE Arkansas, the two poorest counties in both states... There are so many children here, and youth, that have next to no hope of having an instrument and we help them out all we can. We also have a (very) tiny music store in Thayer, Mo, called Liberty Music, and we collect up guitars for these kids all year, repair them, do set-ups, get them working easy for a beginner and sell them for ...$20.00- $30.00 at Christmas. It allows the parents to feel like they bought a worthwhile gift, without buying a $20.00 china piece of junk, and gets a good playing instrument into the kids hands.

We do not have a lot of requests for band instruments, but occasionally, a clarinet or flute and trumpet. Much appreciated, and in order to be sure I am not stepping on anyone's toes, Pete can get a contact for me or tell me if this post is OK with him or with administration. Thanks.

We do not have a lot of requests for band instruments, but occasionally, a clarinet or flute and trumpet. Much appreciated, and in order to be sure I am not stepping on anyone's toes, Pete can get a contact for me or tell me if this post is OK with him or with administration. Thanks.
Toes are not particularly stepped on. With a couple notes -- and no offense intended:

If you're talking donations, I'm a relatively well-known person in the woodwind community and I can also provide names, numbers, addresses, etc. of places I've donated to or will donate to, so you can check up on me if you want to. I've also been a member on a forum -- not here or SOTW -- that was taking donations for a thing and the person collecting the donations essentially skipped town with the cash, so I'm always a bit wary of donating stuff to folks I don't know.

Reminder to me: It might be a nice idea to have a thread of all the folks that you can donate instruments to with contact info and also info if they're a 503 charity, etc. for tax benefits.

Anyhow, if you're talking listings for just free stuff, open to first come, first served, no worries at all.

Completely and totally understand your ...cash.. wisdom. And, basically, not asking for cash, although I did use contacts once from our music store to hunt donations for a particular family. A man brought in a very old guitar, Epiphone, I believe, and asked if we could buy it or if he could sell it from the store and the price he asked was so low, that we wanted to know why he was (actually) dumping it for 1/4 of its value. He told us his daughter, 10, has diabetes- which I already knew about, but that he had been unable to find work and needed the cash for medications for her. So I did call around to musicians I knew that were collectors or had the backup cash and explained the situation. I happened to call the right person, by chance, who got the girl covered for ALL her meds, and we were able to tell him we would repair and setup his guitar for free and he could keep it if he wanted. He chose to sell it, but at least he had the choice.

So, we can't always intervene when an instrument is needed, but there is occasion to help someone.

I love donating to local schools and bands, especially if kids are involved. I would never mail anything to programs outside the state that I could not vet. Too much chance for profiteering. And I have been known to sell an instrument at my low, low cost to a struggling musician. Just makes me feel good to find home for my unused instruments.

Back
Top Bottom