Favorite Living Jazz Clarinetists

Ed

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
I think that there are not nearly enough jazz clarinetists around these days. Given the long history of the instrument and the jazz legacy of Benny Goodman and Artie Shaw, one would think that I could name more than three or four clarinetists who are known for their jazz playing. For the record this morning I can think of Ken Peplowski, Eddie Daniels, and Ron Hockett.

Who's playing right now inspires?

Buddy Defranco
Allan Vache
Chuck Hedges

Last edited:
Most people don't know, but Larry Combs is a jazz as well as classically trained clarinetist. Frome http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Larry_Combs we find:

"Combs is also a jazz aficionado. His Combs-Novak Sextet is one of the headliners at the 1999 Chicago Jazz Festival; he cut an album with jazz clarinetist Eddie Daniels, called "Crossing the Line"; and the Chicago Reader's Ted Shen wrote that he is "a Benny Goodman-like chameleon who can execute breathtaking arabesques and add a touch of eloquence to the plainest phrase.""

As you may already know, I favor the traditionalists . . . and I agree with Al about Alan Vache, and with Ed about Ron Hockett. But there is a guy who plays with Gandalfe's friend, Paul Woltz, who is an excellent clarinetist - John Goodrich. He can be heard with Uptown Lowdown (youtube)out of Seattle, playing clarinet, soprano and bass saxes (terrific duets with Paul on bass saxes).

Another great player here in SoCal is Pieter Meijiers, who plays with The High Sierra Jazz Band (on Albert System).

And finally, my favorite of all is a guy named Walter Sereth, who plays an 1887 Buffet Albert as good as I've ever heard one played. But, he is not a swing-style player - he is a trad player. DAVE

John Skillman.

(My head is getting scratched open.)

Admittedly I don't get out much, but the only living jazz clarinetist I know of by name is Pete Fountain.

I've heard the Artie Shaw and Benny Goodman big bands in person, at different times, and they are led by capable clarinet players, but I'd be hard pressed to remember their names.

I probably know a few more "classical" clarinet players than "jazz".

Sol Yaged is still walking around NYC. He played the clarinet on the soundtract of the Steve Allen film, "The Benny Goodman Story." Sol's quite the piece of work....

Nicer guys playing clarinet in New York....Bill Easley, Bud Revels, Dan Block and Bob Curtis.

Julian

Other young(!) English players to watch out for are Julian Stringle and also Pete Neighbour although he lives in the US now ...

:Space2:

Back
Top Bottom