Untitled Document

Advertisement Click to advertise with us!

Finally - new keywork

Steve

Clarinet CE/Moderator
Staff member
CE/Moderator
It's been noted that Keilwerth has finally gone away from the straight stacks for the right hand (lower) stack. Now the right hand stack is more of an offset stack like Selmer (and most everyone else).

Apparently the alto and tenor was changed a year ago and the bar (and soprano ??) was changed a couple months ago.

I wish JK did this 30 years ago, I'd still be playing my Coufs. Now if only they would bring back the Couf type table keys .. i'd go get one !!

I agree with you about the offset stacks...this was a big part of my abandonment of JK saxophones (my ancient wrists and elbows need all the help they can get.

Don't understand, though, what's so great about the LH table on the old Coufs. While I'm not so thrilled with tilting spatulas, I find the sculpted Bb keys to be a nice reminder of where the 'edge' is...

I agree with you about the offset stacks...this was a big part of my abandonment of JK saxophones (my ancient wrists and elbows need all the help they can get.

Don't understand, though, what's so great about the LH table on the old Coufs. While I'm not so thrilled with tilting spatulas, I find the sculpted Bb keys to be a nice reminder of where the 'edge' is...

It's a what you are taught thing. I was taught on a Couf horn and my private teacher was very specific on finger location. My fingers rarely move off the keywork/touches and my pinky moves the least amount possible. Thus I prefer the non-tilting keywork .... one of the reasons I prefer a Selmer SBA over a mk VI/VII/sa80, etc. The Selmer SBA is one of few with the offset lower stack and simplified table keys, though cost is a factor why I don't have SBAs.

I never really minded the way the stacks were set up.

One argument for owning a variety of horns is that your hands never get stress injuries because there's just enough difference between the various horns. :D

... however, that's like saying that I'll never have a problem with carpal yunnel because I never learned how to type properly. 50 wpm. Four fingers.

Back
Top Bottom