Fingering help

I’m working on the reed 5 book for The Music Man and I am looking for fingering advice on this passage. It’s very quick (about half note = 130). I’ve played clarinet for over 20 years but my official training is on saxophone. How do I elegantly navigate c# to f# to e#, etc and end back down on d#?
IMG_4409.jpeg

That's a rough passage. I would mostly use the alternate F# fingering (1-2-3-4 +6 on the sliver key) but the first (and every) C# to that F# fingering is a bit ugly. In measures 61 and the first half of 62 (and also 63 & 64) I would revert to the traditional F# (1-2-3-5). That ten-tuplet in 69 ending on the high G natural in measure 70 is also intimidating. Be happy it wasn't a high G#!

The best advice I can give you is to practice it slowly at first, and gradually speed it up, but half note =130 (I would translate that to quarter note =260 in my head) is pretty insane.

The name of the dance reveals my thoughts on the arranger that wrote this.

I’m working on the reed 5 book for The Music Man and I am looking for fingering advice on this passage. It’s very quick (about half note = 130). I’ve played clarinet for over 20 years but my official training is on saxophone. How do I elegantly navigate c# to f# to e#, etc and end back down on d#?View attachment 10641
Don’t really understand the problem, you just use std. fingering. E# 1234 f# 1235 then D#. And so on next bar with the alternate F#. When appropriate. Hope that helps.

Last edited:
I’m working on the reed 5 book for The Music Man and I am looking for fingering advice on this passage. It’s very quick (about half note = 130). I’ve played clarinet for over 20 years but my official training is on saxophone. How do I elegantly navigate c# to f# to e#, etc and end back down on d#?View attachment 10641
This is a good ex. using the L & R. C# and std. fingering for the F#.

Attachments

• IMG_6122.jpeg
    IMG_6122.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 42
That jump from C# to F# to E# is a bit of a doosie. Reminds me of finger flipping with an oboe. Jump from C# using the alt-F# key is a bit awkward to do it smoothly. If not for that jump, I've found the alt-F# handy, especially when it comes to trilling.

Can't say best way to go, basically it is what comes easiest to an individual, plus a lot of practice to be able to do it smoothly and quickly. I've gotten used to doing finger flipping with the sax. :D

Back
Top Bottom