Untitled Document

Advertisement Click to advertise with us!

fingering technique

Hello forum members:

Please excuse me if this post is not in correct location.

Would someone please help me determine how to play the 3 notes

left hand plays #g
right hand plays #c and #d ?

Thank you

how fast is it?
Some clarinets have the Eb on the left side, but that isn't the norm. You can hit the C# key with the middle digit of your right pinky and rock it up to the Eb key right ahead of it. That's what I'd do, be a bear to sightread it, but that's how I'd get it after practicing

jbtsax

Distinguished Member
Distinguished Member
That is an excellent suggestion: to exchange little fingers on on the C# as quickly as possible freeing up the RH pinky for the Eb. My clarinet instructor in college had me do exercises playing long tones on B, C, and C# while rapidly exchanging left and right little fingers on the respective keys. The challenge was to do it fast and smooth enough so as to keep the long tone uninterrupted.

Clever players would use the forked, RT12-/12-, alternate fingering for G#, play C# with the left pinky, and D# with the right. Mastering the clarinet is all about alternate fingerings.

Last edited by a moderator:
true. Didn't think about that one. I use it as a trill fingering from E to G#, but it's rather stuffy... not bad for a sixteenth note though... Good call lance

Clever players would use the forked, RT12-/12-, alternate fingering for G#, play C# with the left pinky, and D# with the right. Mastering the clarinet is all about alternate fingerings.
Thank you also for your help and guidance.

I appreciate all the help.

Last edited by a moderator:

Steve

Clarinet CE/Moderator
Staff member
CE/Moderator
on a standard boehm clarinet it is all about alternative fingerings AND practicing those weird transitions with regular fingerings - which there are books about that.

Here is a good website for primary and alternate fingering
http://www.wfg.woodwind.org/clarinet/cl_bas_2.html

luckily that piece looks fast enough where alternate fingers would be acceptable as the time one is on notes is minimal thus certain tonal characteristics would not be very evident versus a slow moving section.