First lesson today. Excellent teacher!

I started my lessons today at Baxter-Northup, really nice teacher. Was very clear at helping me to reverse some bad habits I was begining to develop. Gave me excellent advice, and was flexible to what I had already been learning as well. If your looking for a Good woodwind teacher in L.A., I recomend him. BRIAN WALSH

I learned much more from that one hour lesson than I did in an entire week of researching the net, instruction books and playing the finger charts. Wow. I picked op the horn today, and my tongue went right where it was supposed to. Why is it that the instruction books I have been reading don't explain that the tongue placement is so important? That is kinda like a guitar book not explaining that the fingure should be slightly behind the fret rather than right on top of it. Seems like that should be the first instruction, right after emboushure.

actually everything is important to some regards .....

Teaching tonguing and embouchure is best done by a teacher because they can see what you are doing and get your to change right there. Reading about it is the interpretation of the person writing it and interpretation of the person reading it.

actually everything is important to some regards .....

Teaching tonguing and embouchure is best done by a teacher because they can see what you are doing and get your to change right there. Reading about it is the interpretation of the person writing it and interpretation of the person reading it.

Not exactly tonguing, I mean I had my tongue completely flat. And I was using about twice as much air as I needed just to get the clarinet to play. With my tongue properly arched(creating somewhat of a venturi effect) I am getting better velocity with alot less effort. Seems probably second nature to people who have been playing for a while, but I had no idea. Seems obvious to me now.

Ah, there it is. I was reading mostly the "Leblanc clarinet Method Study Book", wasn't brought up. Not early on anyway. I'll read yours, looks good.

Back
Top Bottom