For teachers: what's your load?

September is coming on like a runaway train! If you're a teacher, what's the gig and how's your load?

I've got 12hrs/week this coming semester, divided between an upper level course on Shakespeare, a bridge course for students just entering university, and an ESL course I teach for foreign students.

Rory

I'm not a 'real' teacher, but I hope that I get more than 1 private student this year.

I've gone from having 12 students my first year to 1 last year. But when the ecomony is in the dumper, extras like private instruction are the first things to be cut from the budget.

ATM I have one student. I am not looking for students, and have been turning down everybody who asks, but this was a special case. So I have one student - no charge.

I miss the students, but I don't miss the time and scheduling chaos involved with teaching and gigging.

Back in the last century, when I was actively professoring for a living (at a "comprehensive" state university), our load in the social sciences averaged some 12 hours per semester. Specific courses ranged from Freshman through Graduate level, dependent both on established curriculum as well as student demand.

I was not employed in the Music Department – so there were no lessons/studio hours – but I am now taking classes in music, at the same university, and find myself somewhat in awe of the dedicated faculty! These folks have at least a 12 hour load, plus lessons, plus ensembles/performances, plus having to deal with a variety of "non-traditional" students (including the occasional geezer, such as yours truly, just getting started in music) and still seem to retain some level of sanity.

(By the way, I personally find that I'm spending more time on campus now, as a music student, than I ever did when I was teaching – and having a lot more fun too.)

The school I'd like to audit is the University of Washington's music program. But that costs money now and I really don't have the time... yet. I only spend 2 - 3 hours giving lessons, just to family right now. Good thing my salary doesn't depend upon giving music lessons.

One of my instructors is a high school band teacher puttin' in 50 - 60 hours a week, plus volunteering with a local community jazz ensemble, plus two days with at least 4 lessons a night (after school). Good thing he's a youngster; that would clean my clock to do those kind of hours.

Yes. I know a few folks right now who are earning a living teaching music at the local music store "conservatory." It sure does seem gruelling: basically half-hour lessons back to back all day long!

My dream is to quit my job and go back to school for a music degree! That's not going to happen, but I would love to be able to take some classes/lessons with university student musicians. Unfortunately, my university doesn't really have a jazz program, nor does it seem to be doing anything to bring outside students in, especially older ones like me. Too bad.

I'm always a bit amazed at how many adult players I meet online are taking lessons; I really want to try that, but it's so hard to justify the expense when I'm never sure how much practicing time I'm going to get.

Rory

I know a few folks right now who are earning a living teaching music at the local music store "conservatory."

I've known HS students who have done this as well.

I've never bought in to the music store lessons routine. Why do I want to give up control of my students expenses to a 3rd party who I do not need?

I taught at a private school of music because they provided a clean studio which someone else maintained, provided a nice waiting area, and a regular pay check without being under the thumb of any music merchant. IN addition they had a receptionist to deal with the cancellation and being late issues. When I arrived for the day I knew who would be coming and when, and got paid accordingly. My students, my materials, my curriculum.

We still try to support that school even though we are no longer in the same state.

Back
Top Bottom