four tops/temptations anyone done this show?

I just got a call to do the bari/clarinet chair for a four tops/temptations concert when the tour comes through Kona in August.

Anyone ever done this show?

I'm a little paranoid about the clarinet part--enough so that I'm practicing the black stick of death every day, and I bought a used (ridenour) mouthpiece to 'help' me.

At least there's a rehearsal......:)

I've done that show dozens of times. Don't sweat the clarinet part. No one will hear it. Bring your loud reed. It's one of my favorite gigs. Say hello to Otis.

Never done the two acts combined, but I've done them separately a whole bunch of times. Roundtree, or 'Tree' was the Tops MD the last time I did them, and he's pretty cool. I don't remember who was running the Temps at my last show, but there were no problems. Like Groove says, the volume is so high, the horns are really an afterthought these days.

The rehearsal will most likely be horns only, so you want to try to be somewhat on point for that.

It'll be fun, hak.

Julian

The gig was last night.

Julian, yeah, the MD and arranger is George Roundtree--really great guy, and his arrangements were challenging, but fun. I wish he had told me during the horn rehearsal that I had a solo downstage near the end of the show. It was penciled in, but I didn't believe it until Tree, about 8 bars before the solo, says 'hey, unclip the mic and get downstage for your solo'. I'm like, wtf?--well, OK' I made it about halfway downstage, when one of the Tops sticks his mic down my bell, and I honked around for 16 bars or so. The crowd seemed to really dig it.

The Temp's MD's name was 'Bob', but I never caught his last name. Nice guy, very pro.

Randy--I brought my loudest reed-- a legere on my RPC. Loves to honk out them low notes:)

I gotta say, I'm pretty sore in the diaphragm area this morning--and I have my regular gig tonight.

It was a blast--and I got paid.;)

I'm sure Bob did the horn rehearsal with a cowbell. It's a tradition from the Temps' original musical director, Gil Askey. I have about an hour's worth of stories about Gil.

I figured you would have fun. It's one of my favorite gigs, and I haven't done it in a year.

I'm sure Bob did the horn rehearsal with a cowbell. It's a tradition from the Temps' original musical director, Gil Askey. I have about an hour's worth of stories about Gil.

I figured you would have fun. It's one of my favorite gigs, and I haven't done it in a year.

Yep, the cowbell made its appearance for both rehearsals...

Back
Top Bottom