Fredericton's Annual Music Festival

Ed

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
This sounds like a very cool event:

Novices, judges alike find inspiration at music festival

Mark Hopkins couldn't imagine being anywhere else but the front row for Fredericton's annual music festival.

The music teacher is acting as adjudicator this week for some of the 2,000 musicians taking part in the event.

But Hopkins doesn't consider it work.

Listening to a variety of talent and hearing students praise each other's abilities, is music to his ears.

"I've been to all sorts of these festivals in communities across the country and it's really a privilege to be part of it," Hopkins said.

"This is a fine festival and I'm really enjoying the level of playing. It's quite amazing."

The music festival, which wraps up this week, will include more than 1,500 solo entries, 184 small group performances, 58 choirs and 14 bands and orchestra entries.

Its various events, performances and competitions provide a chance for musicians and singers to demonstrate their talents and check out the work of other performers.

For students such as Clara Simpson and Tait Du, the event is inspiring.

"I'm been playing clarinet for three or four years and piano for as long as I can remember," Simpson said.

"Being able to participate in a festival like this and get feedback on your performance really helps you want to keep going with music. It's encouraging."

Read the rest of the article at http://dailygleaner.canadaeast.com/cityregion/article/274568

These festivals take a lot of time and effort. We're doing a community band festival in Seattle and many of the community bands backed out because of a $200 charge help cover the Navy band and facilities. I guess I live in a fantasy world because our band doesn't consider that a deal breaker.

But the committee and lead really take on a lot to make this happen. And I suspect most people don't realize the time commitment and passion it takes to make a music festival a success. I'm just sayin'... :geek:

Back
Top Bottom