Giant Steps

That's too jerky for me too.

I like this version though.

http://michalevy.com/giantsteps_download
Same general idea as this. Your version of Giant Steps might even be one of the graphics you can do with the program that was used for my linky.

One of the things I wanted, when I was heavily into playing music, was a tablet-ish computer that would hold a scanned version of the chart I was playing and, if I tapped a MIDI pedal (read: switch), it'd switch the page. I know that software's out there and I have a (fairly old) large tablet that's 8.5 x 11. It'd work.

Or...

...you could go the Harry Connick route and have a two page flat screen on every stand with the same sort of arrangement.

Or...

You could buy one of the single page computers for this. It has the pedal for page turns, and it's reasonably priced at something like $500.

A friend of mine has one (he's flush with money, and has one of everything (except a decent bass clarinet), but I've not heard much talk of him using it in the past couple of years. I see all sorts of problems with it and multi page charts, but it would probably do fine for lead sheets on a combo gig.

You could buy one of the single page computers for this. It has the pedal for page turns, and it's reasonably priced at something like $500.

I see all sorts of problems with it and multi page charts, but it would probably do fine for lead sheets on a combo gig.
The major problem is a piece that doesn't have a rest at the end of a page. I can see doublers having the most problem.

I mentioned my old tablet. It's 6-ish years old and has a retail value of around, oh, $50 (I checked). I've had a lot of folks come up to me at work (I use it for practice tests. Perfect size) and ask if it's the new tablet we're deploying. Well, it does happen to run Windows XP Tablet, which means that it CAN do more than an iPad. It'd be nice if I could do multitouch on it, rather than having to use a stylus, tho. Still ... I could probably find software, a midi interface and a midi controller to do the music thing. Probably for less than $200.

Well...

...whatever works for you should be just fine. Me, I have trouble reading the 8 1/2 x 11 charts that we use now, and my one experience with Jim's music display only table proved to be a bit smaller than the typing paper sized stuff.

My objections to it were the hard to turn pages, the cost, and the fact that you didn't even get a carrying case for the stupid thing.

Oh, and I just found out that I can type little umbrellas, like this one: ☂. I don't know what good they will do, but the power is still there.

And...

Japanese apparently is built into the computer's guts (or the system's guts). Here's the kanji for Type 97 tank, the most common medium sized one that they produced during World War II: 戈九七戦車

Apparently, these kanji are stuffed into all sorts of Macintosh True Type fonts. Who would have thunk it?

(One relatively common character, the one for the term "middle" or "medium", seems to be missing in the on-board fonts. I've yet to install any Japanese fonts (having opted out of that during the computer's set up), but I do have them should I want to bother. Lots and lots of kanji in your typical character set, though.

And then there's Japanese OCR...

On both vBulletin and on a Windows boxen, you have to install a specific language pack to see the characters properly. The biggest problem, here, was some issues with accented letters in French.

Back
Top Bottom