Goodbye Saxophone Journal

All this looks like is a PDF version of the print magazine.

You noticed that too. ;) That was the first thing that jumped out at me when I heard about the debut issue in January. It seemed to me to be exactly the same old, same old. Mind you, to be fair, I never did take up their offer for a free initial copy, so I don't know who their writers are, and what slant they are taking. At first blush however, it does certainly look though, like an E-form of the SJ.

So how would what you're proposing be different from the e-zine I mentioned?

Better edited, more interesting features, better known writers, available in print as well as online, more . . .

Well, we could talk about the superiority of a blog, forum, etc. vs. an e-zine.

Absolutely seriously, the only things I like about print magazines more than electronic media is the editing and fact-checking. If I want to look at pretty saxophone pictures, I can hop down to my gallery (or Helen's or the one I made on saxpics.com). If I want to learn about technique, everyone and their brother has a blog. If I wanted to listen to sax, I can get on YouTube or one of the many jazz audio blogs. If I wanted to learn some saxophone history, there are a number of websites I can go to. If I wanted to learn about saxophone acoustics, I can look up this forum and others. If I want a review of a saxophone from a repairman's perspective, I could look up Stephen Howard or Matt Stohrer's websites. If I wanted pricing information, I could come here and look up my modern sax price guide (admittedly a bit outdated).

Editing is great. Not only can you remove some idiot's (i.e. my) grammar and spelling errors, you can also take an interview and make it more coherent. The fact-checking comes in when someone insists a saxophone was made by X and you see references online that it was made by Y -- or something like that. You could do this with an e-zine because you'd actually have a staff. Not just some guy (i.e. me) that devotes maybe 10 hours a week to a hobby. Although, if you want to pay me more than $50K a year to do sax stuff full time, I guarantee that my editing and fact-checking would be lots better.

Back
Top Bottom