Grafton Acrylic Alto ... In Silver?

pete

Brassica Oleracea
Staff member
Administrator
Edit: I've cross-posted this for Groovekiller. Lower in this thread you'll see he's got a Grafton (not silver plate, tho) for sale. I return you to the thread already in progress.

===========

I've written a bit about the Grafton and have done a good deal of research on them. They're noteworthy because they were the first plastic saxophones. However, they weren't all plastic: the neck, keywork and some trim was copper.

Then, our good friend Quinn comes up with this one. Where you had copper, you've now got silver. He says it's original. I'm not sure. It looks really good, though.

What do y'all think? I know that the Grafton is a pain to disassemble, but to disassemble the entire horn and the trim to replate silver? That'd be a pretty mammoth job, right?

Last edited by a moderator:
Do you mean, are they usually silver plated, and then lacquered over to look copper coloured?

No, the normal ones are lacquered brass.
I'm pretty sure they're copper, not brass.

My Grafton goes on Ebay soon. It's not perfect, but all the keyguards are there, and it plays from top to bottom. $2500
Kewl. You like that Vibratosax better?

Kewl. You like that Vibratosax better?

No. The Grafton is infinitely better than the Vibratosax. It's just that I still have 35 saxophones and selling a few of them is part of my retirement package.

$2500 is where I'm starting it on Ebay. If anybody here wants it, grab it now. I'll have pics soon. Actually, Pete, you already have pics from the ebay auction when I bought it, and maybe the description too. Nothing has changed.

Thanks, Pete. The horns I decide to sell may not show up on Ebay immediately. I have some local buyers interested. Also, If I post something here about a saxophone for sale, I'll deduct ebay fees and offer some kind of discount.

Back
Top Bottom