Untitled Document

Advertisement Click to advertise with us!

H Couf A3200

I currently possess an H. Couf A3200 Eb Alto Sax and I don't know much about it. The music store I bought it from 12 years ago said it was a semi-pro sax, but I've since taken it to other music stores and they have no knowledge about the H. Couf. Does anybody out there know exactly what kind of sax this is? Is it a good playing/sounding sax?

Have you played it?
+1.

Even if you have a sax that other people say is the worst in the world, but you sound good on it, it's a good sax. You just might not have a very high resale value. The complete opposite is also true: you might have a horn that people say is the best in the world, but if you don't sound good on it, it's not a good horn. You just might have a horn with high resale value.

Speaking of resale, I've heard some talk that the H-Couf x3y00 (where X is a letter and Y is a number) were Keilwerth bodies with Armstrong keywork. I've not seen enough of these to make a determination.

I looked into this a while back and if i recall correctly they were Amatis or Amati bodies.

The A3200s were after the real Coufs which stopped in 1989 (Keilwerths) when Mr H Couf retired and subsequently lost the rights to his own name for musical instruments. he tried to sell his own line of instruments at one time - trumpets, clarinets, etc but had to stop due to this name infringement.

They are nice instruments but were positioned as intermediates versus the original Couf Superbas (ie, Keilwerths) which were pro horns.

Yes, I have played it and I am currently learning to play it all over again now, and I'm loving it. It really does produce a nice sound in my opinion, and any intonation problems are certainly not the sax, but my own inexperience of playing of course.
Thanks to everyone who sent a reply, I appreciate it. I really like the comments about if you play any sax well, it is a good sax. Thanks again.

H'mmm. Looks a lot like an eBay valuation to me...
Someone had a like new one on ebay for over a year. I wonder if it ever sold...

Someone had a like new one on ebay for over a year. I wonder if it ever sold...
Well, if the H-Couf 3200 was an Amati-made or Amati-bodied horn, they weren't exactly killer horns. This would have been late 1980's, so you're talking probably Amati AxS-61 models ("X" being the letter S, A, T or B). I bought a 61 or 62 for the case (buy the case and get a free tenor) and I thought the construction was rather slapdash and it didn't play that well.

It's me again. I am in need of a new case that will fit my H-Couf A3200. The current case won't even zip up anymore. I would like a hard case now to protect the sax, but I am having trouble finding a hard case that will fit this particular sax. Anyone have any advice or knowledge about this?

Hmm. That sounds a little odd that a generic case doesn't fit it. The case I had for the Amati was a formed (i.e. not rectangular) case and I think it was generic.

The best possible suggestion I have is to see if there's a shop near you that deals in woodwinds and/or rental instruments. I guarantee that they'll have cases lying around, so bring your horn and check the fit. Just don't get a case that smells bad, because your horn will start to smell bad.

Hmm. That sounds a little odd that a generic case doesn't fit it. The case I had for the Amati was a formed (i.e. not rectangular) case and I think it was generic.

The best possible suggestion I have is to see if there's a shop near you that deals in woodwinds and/or rental instruments. I guarantee that they'll have cases lying around, so bring your horn and check the fit. Just don't get a case that smells bad, because your horn will start to smell bad.

The A3200 has an oversized bell so it will not fit in most cases. The stock case was rectangular, but considerably deeper than the generic rectangular cases. I have 2 of them, one is a backup to the other and both have their original cases which are still in good condition. I have never tried them in any other case or bag, but I don't think most will accommodate the bell.

I have a couple protec cases I could check just to confirm/eliminate them from consideration if you'd like.

Best bet is finding an original case, Conn also sold this model under their own name so there are 2 options to look for.

These don't pop up too often.

The A3200 has an oversized bell so it will not fit in most cases. The stock case was rectangular, but considerably deeper than the generic rectangular cases. I have 2 of them, one is a backup to the other and both have their original cases which are still in good condition. I have never tried them in any other case or bag, but I don't think most will accommodate the bell.

I have a couple protec cases I could check just to confirm/eliminate them from consideration if you'd like.

Best bet is finding an original case, Conn also sold this model under their own name so there are 2 options to look for.

These don't pop up too often.

Thanks for the advice. I would prefer a rectangular case simply because I want storage. But where would I find an original case or the Conn case?

Back
Top Bottom