Help! Does a recorder embouchure rely at all on teeth?

So I've played a bunch of instruments including flute, clarinet, and sax... they all seem to rely heavily on the player's teeth. Unfortunately, having great teeth is not something I'm going to be able to rely on. I'd like an instrument that I can dedicate myself to without the fear of having to give it up from dental problems and, from what I've heard, the recorder relies only on the lips. Can anyone verify this and / or give me their opinion? Thanks!!!

So I've played a bunch of instruments including flute, clarinet, and sax... they all seem to rely heavily on the player's teeth. Unfortunately, having great teeth is not something I'm going to be able to rely on. I'd like an instrument that I can dedicate myself to without the fear of having to give it up from dental problems and, from what I've heard, the recorder relies only on the lips. Can anyone verify this and / or give me their opinion? Thanks!!!

In short: No teeth.

Your lips have to be only firm enough to prevent a leak, and air pressure is low. You may run into used student level recorders that look like they have been used as a dog toy, however that is in no way necessary or desired.

An overview on holding the recorder can be found here:

http://www.dolmetsch.com/lesson0.htm#tohold

The Walter van Hauwe "Modern Recorder Player" vol 1 has a (single!) page regarding the lips, and its a set of books I would recommend.

I second that with a vengeance. In high school, a bunch of us clarinet and bass clarinet players put together a recorder quintet that we entered in the annual Regional Music Competition. I was amazed, after years of blowing on clarinets, bass clarinets, bassoons and baritone saxophones, just how little effort it took to properly "sound" even the biggest of recorders.

When playing, I frequently found myself exhaling before taking a breath, so much wind did I have left in my lungs after articulating a phrase. In effect, it was like playing a wind synth with the gain dialed way up.

Back
Top Bottom