Hidden Treasures

tictactux

Distinguished Member
Distinguished Member
Yesterday we went through our band's instrument vault (a local music school was pleading for unused instruments), and we found some really interesting things, things I didn't know they existed.

I knew of Reynolds brass (uncommon here), smelled the odd greenish Noblet hard rubber clarinet, saw a lot of silver-plated no-name no-serialnumber saxes, we found about four Besson Eb horns in that course, but in the far corner we stumbled over a Henri Selmer Paris ... trombone. (serial twentysomething, aka "2x")

Didn't know Hank S. was into bones, but apparently he was. Anyone in here with some background about H.S. trombones?

BTW I'm now the band's official instrument caretaker. What a career! :smile:

I can't remember this stuff but in the 1930s Selmer bought a brass manufacturer. Of course they still make brass instruments today such as Trumpet/Cornets, and French Horns (available only in Europe and rare)

in their 1936 catalog they had 4 different trombones available.
1 tenor, 1 bass, 1 valve and some weird 6 valve behemoth where the tubes go down and back instead of out - apparently for balance.

He also made other brass such as euphonimum, bass, etc. This was the time they were expanding and also made drums and geeee-tars

picture.php

So many toys, so little time. My next project is to gain proficiency on the flute. My wife tried brass for a couple of months because I found a $50 Olds trumpet in a pawn shop. The nice thing about toys like this is you can have them when a child/grandchild/great... (okay you get the idea) needs an instrument to start on.

Well, for a guy that's a sax player, flute is a very good idea. I could never get the embochure right, tho.

No need to learn trombone if you have a bari sax :p.

Beautiful trombone in great condition.
Notice the rollover strengthening lip on the bell
and the beautiful engravings and stamping.

This is the same era as my old Selmer cornet

Great pics ben. Thanks :)

Agree - very pretty instrument.

I was also interested to see the rollover pressed lip of bell. It makes for a stronger bell and is a characteristic of Couesnon Monopole saxes - you can just see it here on my tenor:

monopolecomp.jpg

And again just make it out on one of my altos

monopolealto.jpg

Chris

Back
Top Bottom