High or low Pitch?

Hello, sorry to sound daft? I am trying to play one of my antique instruments, however, when I play straight with no keys depressed, it shows as Bb on my Korg tuner, the lowest note is reading G. by closing the thumb hole vent it then reads A.

I was under the impression it was high pitch, but most notes stay on the Bb side, it is only my intonation which takes it over, I pulled the neck out slightly and it seems fine. It does not sound out of tune.

Does anyone know the easiest way to check the actual pitch please?

If you have a Korg digital tuner, you should be able to set it to A=457hz. If the overwhelming majority (not like just two or three notes) of the notes are in tune, you've got a high pitch instrument. Note that you shouldn't be using "false fingerings" or excessive embochure alterations to make it play in tune.

The difference between high pitch and low pitch is almost a half step. That's not something that you'll be able to adjust to by just pulling out the barrel a bit. It'd be more like pulling out the barrel, mouthpiece, joints and bell and use false fingerings and embochure gymnastics to make the horn closer to LP.

If you have a Korg digital tuner, you should be able to set it to A=457hz. If the overwhelming majority (not like just two or three notes) of the notes are in tune, you've got a high pitch instrument. Note that you shouldn't be using "false fingerings" or excessive embochure alterations to make it play in tune.

The difference between high pitch and low pitch is almost a half step. That's not something that you'll be able to adjust to by just pulling out the barrel a bit. It'd be more like pulling out the barrel, mouthpiece, joints and bell and use false fingerings and embochure gymnastics to make the horn closer to LP.

Thank you Pete,

I have just set it to A457, no fingers reads A#, lowest note F# and the majority are lighting the red, sharp.!

Back
Top Bottom