Holiday Sax Fun

Gandalfe

Striving to play the changes in a melodic way.
Staff member
Administrator
The Woodinville Community Band played at Winterfest and one of the songs was 'Christmas in the Round'. When it came time for the sax highlight I took the comedic guidance, no really it said that on the sheet music, seriously. Note one of the sax players refused to where the assigned costume. :emoji_rolling_eyes:

The section is made up of late bloomers, three who didn't play in school, two who have returned after a long break (including me), and a music major type.

Enjoy: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q968MTkap-E

Nicely played....very good energy and a nice blend. And some good old honking at the end.

Looks like some fun!

Thanks for the kudos guys.

The little horn gets played so infrequent that I have to pull it out once in a while just to see how quick my chops scream "uncle." Most of my time is spent on tenor anymore. The much more forgiving horn. :emoji_smile:

Sounding good Glen! Gee, looks like I have the same book as you...

We Three Kings

Just so you don't feel like you're out there in soprano land by yourself. ;)
wethreekings.mp3

Last edited by a moderator:
After a night of practice with two bands, I'm back and making my way through these recordings. Al, I know a great musician because listening to their stuff makes me wanna pick up my horn and play against the recording. This number did that for me, although I just had the sop handy.

What are youse guys using to record this stuff with? I have a Zoom H4 that I hope to play with over the vacation break to do just audio. For video I have sussed out a decent solution with my Fuji FinePic setup.

Last edited:
What are youse guys using to record this stuff with?
Cool Edit Pro (now Adobe Audition) on my PC and backing tracks I built last year, A Shure SM81 (through a Rolls PB23 for phantom power) into an M-Audio FastTrack into the computer via USB.

My set up:

PowerTracks Pro Audio

AKG Perception 200 Condenser Microphone (I think the AKG Perception 220 replaced this one)

Behringer UB802 Eurorack 8 Input Mixer

M-Audio Firewire Audiophile

I run the microphone through the mixer and then into my firewire audio interface. I use PTpro audio for what little mixing I do.

I think you can do most of the same things with the zoom once you figure it out. If you can separate the backing and horn into individual tracks you may want some type of mixing software on your computer.

Have fun Jim!

Last edited:
Too bad my playing doesn't live up to all that... :oops:
I don't hear anything wrong with it. If I could have played my soprano with that much strength and consistency of tone and intonation, I would have kept it. Also if I could have held it up that long without my right wrist tendons screaming at me in pain.

Come on, guys. More Christmas music. Please.

How 'bout this from a new band I started in June. These are all the B players from the now A band. We almost canceled because we were so worried about the lack of progress. Talk about a gut check for us rookies, a band of unreknowns...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uBDD0X4F7fY&feature=channel_page

By the way, that is my Suzy next to me on 2d alto sax. She made the stand banners and is also the band librarian. I wish we'd recorded her solo in Moonlight serenade, which did did very nicely.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom