Horn Made Into a Computer Case

pete

Brassica Oleracea
Staff member
Administrator
I recently acquired a 10-ish year old computer case. It's called a "full tower" case. It's about two and a half feet high and I could stick ten or so regular-height desktop hard drives in it. It's also solid steel and weighs about 40lbs. If I bought a new one of these, it'd be a couple hundred dollars. I'm going to try to "restore" the case -- cleaning and painting, mostly -- and then stick the guts of my current computer in it. It'll be a project that I might work on a couple minutes, here and there, over the next couple months. No big hurry. However, this got me thinking about "case mods": custom made computer cases.

Case mods can be extremely elaborate. Take a look at the Google image page (yes, I agree that the computers made out of mannequins are creepy). Interestingly, it doesn't look like anyone's made a computer out of a saxophone or clarinet. C'mon, folks. A lamp is just too tame.

The current smallest motherboards that can run a Windows operating system are about 4" square. That's a little too big to fit inside most horns. However, I could put the horn on a stand and put the computer under the stand, in a slim case -- or modify the instrument's actual case. I could then string some cable so you could press a key and turn on/off the computer. I could even rig a speaker in the bell. Hey, I could even rig some neon lights.

Anyone wanna donate some parts and/or cash?

Learn something new everyday. I had no idea that custom cases had gotten so artsy. Pretty nice.

BTW, I'm not so sure about old mannequins be repurposed as custom computer cases being creepy... but then I have 5 mannequins in my studio. I suppose some people would call my studio creepy. Actually come to think of it, they have. :p

Mannequins 2.jpg

Yeah, I know they are a fashion disaster. Hell, one of them isn't even wearing any pants. It must have been one hell of a Mardi Gras party! I've been meaning to go to some vintage clothing shops in town and by the period clothing circa 1960s, but it hasn't happen yet. (Much like a lot of other things on my "To Do" list I'm afraid.)

Back
Top Bottom