Hot concert!

We played our 4th of July concert on Thursday evening with the Glendale, AZ Summer Band. We play eight concerts during June and July at 8 PM in the outdoor amphitheater in Glendale. The band numbers 130 players of all ages.The temperature during this past weeks performance was 105 to 107 degrees. Needless to say it was a bit warm and after playing for 90 minutes there was no need to swab since there was no moisture in the bore of our clarinets.

I was wondering what is the highest temperature any of you have ever played in?

Richard
Phoenix,AZ

I think the highest temp I've played in over the last few years has been in the mid 90's with a humidity level in the 90's. Thankfully it cooled down as the night went on.

105+ is simply insane if you ask me. Need to have those air coolers like they use in the NFL that blow cold moisture laden air at everyone .. though might make the music stick to each other
The hottest I've seen out here is 122. Yes, that's official. And I've been out here for the record hottest and record coldest days.

I've played on stage in a couple places where it was well over 100. I remember singing for an Easter concert on a 3-tier riser that held 40 or so people and the riser was surrounded by a black felt-covered box -- fully enclosed -- and the front panel was occasionally illuminated by stage lights. There actually was a thermometer in this box. 120. That was probably the least fun concert I've evar participated in.

The heat issue is one reason that I've avoided concert band stuff for just under twenty years now. They (the concert bands) are so starved of performing opportunities that they will play at virtually any venue at any time in any weather. I've played in 40° F band shells in the middle of a late October in Illinois, and blazing hot direct sunlight at charity affairs where the band was marooned for three extra hours due to program delays. Neither was pleasant nor very conducive to musicianship.

Shifting to playing for money changed that all completely. Generally, people who are looking for entertainment prefer to be in a comfortable environment while they are enjoying it. Sure, you may end up playing less due to a program overrun or a garrulous father of the bride, but you invariable are comfortable while it is happening...and the meter is running the whole while.

Back
Top Bottom