Houston, We Have A Problem

pete

Brassica Oleracea
Staff member
Administrator
Hurricane Ike.

(C'mon, the thread title's kinda obvious.)

My sister lives in Houston. Just moved there two months ago. They evacuated to Waco and are staying in a hotel. 5 kids. One's a young'un (7, I think) and one has "special needs".

I'm sure my sister is not havening fun, right now ....

Everyone else OK in the Texas/Costal areas? groovekiller, did you survive OK in FL?

We have travelled up to Dallas, and plan to stay up here at least until Tuesday. The power is out in our home town Pearland TX, and (from my past experiences with these things) it will be upwards of a week before service is restored. Not a pleasant time to be spending in the Gulf Coast region of Texas.

We only used the small car (the newest one) to evacuate, and as a result I left the replaceable horns at home. (I took the Series 9 and 10 clarinets and the bass clarinet, and left the YBS-62 and a few other horns.) Our house is buttoned up tight to Category 5 standards with all of the vital stuff in the inner core rooms, but some of our neighbors were lax in clearing out their debris and yard crap so I am still worried. Probably there will be no harm (their house is located to the south, down wind of the worst of it), but you never know.

Most of the band gear is located way up north of where we live, which itself is about thirty miles from the sea. Still, as I said, you never know with these things...

My sister lives specifically in League City. According to the city's website, they're havening some issues and say that you can't return until 09-15 -- and be prepared for two week with, well, no services of any kind.

And someone's reporting from there.

Glad you got out OK, Terry. Horns are replaceable. People aren't.

Terry,

Are you OK post Ike? I know from the incredible gale force winds that we were hit with in the general Nashville area, it must have been a whopper.

Check in and let us know you are alright.

I usually only post something when I have something to say...

We (my lovely wife, my mother and I) are all alive and well up in Dallas TX, the place to where we removed our domicile one day before the storm hit. We got everything boarded up (I have a set of hurricane boards already pre-cut to install, although it did take a couple of hours to assemble my bulkhead that seals off the huge French door from the bedroom to the patio) and more or less shut down the day before the big exodus, and as a result only had to spend six hours on the road (instead of the fifteen that those who left "on time" were sentenced to).

Having dealt with hurricanes in my capacity with the government (OSHA was heavily involved in both Rita and Katrina), I have no desire to "ride one out" on the ground. The difference here is that (unlike the last two "big ones" in my general geographic area) I can ignore the "on the ground" effects until it's convenient to return. Retirement has its advantages.

(I have had several calls from my former employer's "home office", which I imagine are "invitations" to return as a contract employee to "help out" during the big mess that they are now dealing with. However, caller ID has its uses and this is one of them.)

I only evacuated the "irreplaceable" horns (Series 9 and 10 clarinets and my Model 33 bass clarinet). Everything else (the saxophones, including my old Conn and YBS-62, and the band sound equipment) is easy enough to replace should it be necessary. Virtually all of the band's book (all but my music and the bass player's music) is in a pretty secure building, while the backup copy (in paper) has been completely scanned and stored in several locations (including a copy with me on CD-ROM and a copy on removable hard disk), so that's all secure as well.

However, since our house is some thirty miles from the ocean or bay and at a relatively high location, and since our boarding is supposedly proof against Category 5 wind, I'm only worried about looting, and there appears to be none of that going on.

And, we have no mature trees in our area, the main source of damage from the wind. Photos of houses near ours show no apparent damage, even with unboarded windows.

My main problem now is finding things to keep my mother entertained. There's only so many movies that appeal to a eighty-two year old woman, and she's not up to much walking. We are eating a lot...

So, I appreciate your worries, but they are unfounded.

That's really good to Terry! We're all thinking of you. Take good care. (Sounds like you are.) And best of luck entertaining your mom. I totally can empathize with that! Here's to you eventually getting back into a home that is undamaged, unlooted, and the way you left it...Regards...helen

Back
Top Bottom