Untitled Document

Advertisement Click to advertise with us!

How 'Bout the OTHER Bb Sopranissimos?

pete

Brassica Oleracea
Staff member
Administrator
Again, while researching something completely different, I stumbled upon http://www.music-company.be and an interesting -- and unfortunately very small -- picture:

sopranissimo.jpg

It's supposed to be all of 20cm in length.

Paul Cohen wrote two articles on the Bb curved sopranissimo in The Saxophone Journal ("Vintage Saxophones Revisited", May/June 1996 and November/December 1996). The curved Bb sopranissimo was hand-made in 1960 by Robert Vanlinthout in Brussels.

Comparing the pic in the Cohen articles and the picture above, there are some differences. Additionally, the length of the horn quoted is 19.5cm. The one, above, is 20cm. However, the store IS in Brussels. Maybe Mr. V made another prototype. I think I'll try to write them and see if they have more pics.

My Google Fu is strong. Attached info. Please note that this is from 1981, so it might no longer be correct, but it's listed as "stolen." Also attached is a pic of the horn. Yes, that's the biggest pic I have. Yes, the original "ad" from FOMRHI is that bad looking.

I'll see if I can find the Saxophone Journal articles. I do have them. Somewhere. You may be able to get the back issues from dornpub.com.

Attachments

• 2020-03-21_16h11_20.png
    2020-03-21_16h11_20.png
    222.1 KB · Views: 237
  • sopranissimo.jpg
    sopranissimo.jpg
    5 KB · Views: 249
The May/June issue basically just said that it exists; nothing else. The November/December issue has much more info. Size details are attached. Contact details from the letter to Dr. Cohen are attached, as well.

Attachments

• 2020-03-21_16h28_42.png
    2020-03-21_16h28_42.png
    423.1 KB · Views: 248
  • 2020-03-21_16h30_22.png
    2020-03-21_16h30_22.png
    145.3 KB · Views: 237
  • 2020-03-21_16h33_18.png
    2020-03-21_16h33_18.png
    15.1 KB · Views: 221
Well I was looking on J elle stainer's website and I noticed that it had listed a curved sopranissimo as one of their products but have heard nothing of it and no images online. I put my info in the contact box and am awaiting a response to my question

Do post if they respond. Especially if you can get pics :D.

I looked at J'Elle's Facebook page. There are a couple pics of the Eppelsheim Soprillo, but it looks like they're from the International Woodwinds display. I don't know and don't currently have the time to check, but the Soprillo pictured does look different from the earlier ones I've seen which had a vent on the mouthpiece, so IW could just be the dealer that Eppelsheim and J'Elle use. I dunno.

I did some further Googling and I see a bunch of curved sopraninos, but not curved sopranissimos.

Do post if they respond. Especially if you can get pics :D.

I looked at J'Elle's Facebook page. There are a couple pics of the Eppelsheim Soprillo, but it looks like they're from the International Woodwinds display. I don't know and don't currently have the time to check, but the Soprillo pictured does look different from the earlier ones I've seen which had a vent on the mouthpiece, so IW could just be the dealer that Eppelsheim and J'Elle use. I dunno.

I did some further Googling and I see a bunch of curved sopraninos, but not curved sopranissimos.
So I never got a response but after watching one of J Elle strainers newest videos about making their subcontrabass sax (
) and I noticed this on one of the pictures. Its comparing the bell of the subcontrabass to a sopranissimo sax and the sopranissimo is curved! It’s the only picture I’ve gotten of their curved sopranissimo it has no keywork and they probably couldn’t mount the keys on the tiny horn but anyways enjoy the pic

Attachments

• 58D35727-6603-4E86-8BF8-BE71BCDF6F46.png
    58D35727-6603-4E86-8BF8-BE71BCDF6F46.png
    2.4 MB · Views: 203
Back
Top Bottom