How do you deal with "Honey I have a new horn"

Ed

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
So I'm sure all of have had to deal with the whole experience of bringing home a new horn. How do you break the news to your significant other?

I generally have an agreement that for every horn that comes into the house one must leave.

When my wife -- an alto sax player -- and I got married, I mentioned that I wouldn't mind picking up bari sax again. She said to me, "I will NOT have something like that in my home."

I am in the process of buying a horn from Ed. It's a bari :D.

The main convincing thing was to say that I was going to use some cash from the sale of my website (i.e. it's not costing "us" anything). The second thing is that she's now "directing" a small group of studentia at her school and she could have a sax quartet if she uses the bari. And the horn isn't that shiny that I'd notice a scratch or two.

Plus, if it's evar damaged, I think I could convince the school to pay for an overhaul by worldwidesax or saxquest. Hey, it's a private school.

Finally, I could also have said, "Look, I got you your piano. We also had the kidlet you wanted. And I don't mind the second dog. So, what you gonna let ME have?" :p

Oh. I also haven't let her see pictures of the horn. Let's just say I won't be featuring it in my calendar.

1)You could hide the new horns in the woodshed. :ugeek:

2) :idea: In the unlikely event that you bring home a Contrabass saxophone, claim that it's beneficial to have a Contrabass saxophone lying around. Hey, if "The Big One" hits, wouldn't you feel safer inside the bell or case of this horn? :emoji_rolling_eyes:

3)Well...hmmm...uhhhh....hide a diamond bracelet inside the bell?

I convinced my wife, the clarinet player, to pick up sax three years ago. I haven't had problems since then. But I do run my purchase questions past her and it usually goes something like this;

Me: Wow, there's an F Mezzo for sale on eBay.

She: Well, you've had that on your search list for a long time now.

Me: Yeah, I even have a mouthpiece for it.

She: What would you use it for?

Me: Not much really, but it might be cool in a couple of quartet/quintet pieces.

Then I decide that it's too much money for so little use and just watch the sale.

Offtopic for Gandalfe:
Gandalfe, I'd hold out for a Conn-O-Sax, anyhow.

I thought Quinn's auctions on that were amusing. I initially saw it listed for $100K. Then it was listed for $75K. It's currently not listed.

The most expensive sax I've seen sold on eBay was a gold-plated Standard (a.k.a. "Naked Lady") Conn bass that sold for $30K a few years ago. I could say that a Conn-O-Sax is more rare, but worth two-and-1/2 times the Conn bass?

Last edited by a moderator:
For me , it is not just horns but any package that comes in the mail 'cause most of them are sax related. My wife says that I have OCD. She believes one sax and mpc. should be sufficient. She may be right and I know that I would have a hard time cutting back that far if I had to.

I wish him luck, because I think a couple folks I know that have them will then sell them and have more time to post here :).

Gandalfe said:
SteveSklar said:
don't tell anyone ...
Doesn't work in the Gandalfe household--SuzySax hears me playing something different. In march it'll be a Leblanc Paris contrabass clarinet, the paperclip style. :emoji_rage:
Then just tell her that you are play testing it. and then promptly send it to me for safe keeping :D

Hey, didn't you just sell or was trying to sell a horn? :-D

My wife has been VERY supportive over the years, but she looks at me with THAT look whenever I tell her I'm thinking about another horn. I guess I have only myself to blame . . . one week I'm raving about my old Bueschers and the next week I'm raving about my Yanagisawas (substitute Selmer here).

How DOES one decide? I mean, over the last few weeks I've been loving my S992, but today I got out both TT sopranos and fell in love all over again.

She's telling me I don't need that new KennyG soprano advertised in the latest SAXOPHONE JOURNAL (and frankly, at the advertised price of $4K, I don't need it), but still . . . DAVE

Buying a new horn

There is a very simple solution. Buy TWO saxophones. Then send one back.

Seriously, how much did the F-mezzo go for? I'm thinking about selling one.

The most expensive F Mezzo I saw sold for about $6000 a year or two ago. Cybersax.com's beautiful reworked F Mezzo sold for $4200 three years ago. I remember seeing a couple other horns selling at around that time for slightly more.

In other words, assume under $7K.

EDIT: I found one of Gandalfe's blog posts. If it's the same horn you're talking about, Groove, it went for $4600.

EDIT 2: And one's for sale at http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/msg/735082558.html

Last edited by a moderator:
When my wife -- an alto sax player -- and I got married, I mentioned that I wouldn't mind picking up bari sax again. She said to me, "I will NOT have something like that in my home."

I am in the process of buying a horn from Ed. It's a bari :D.
And it's sold, thus proving that my strategy proved ineffective :p.

I'm selling my Mark VII tenor. Even though it isn't technically sold yet, I felt confident enough to spring for the 62. Try explaining that!

I've done that before when I've come across a really great horn for the right price.

Back
Top Bottom