How do you improve lower register tone?

I have noticed that my lower register on the clarinet is too harsh. How do you fix that?
Flatter tongue, more hollow oral cavity, receeded wisdom teeth.

Or thereabouts.

Do experiment with air, cavity by "saying" different vowels while playing, an "ee" will give you a sharper tone than an "uu" or an "ôô".

Long tones on the mouthpiece and barrel playing the F# concert pitch will help considerably. Play them at mf - f and work on controlling the airstream. Oftentimes a strident tone comes from either too loose an embouchure or taking too much mouthpiece into the mouth. Experiment a bit until you get the maximum volume AND the maximum control at the same time.

A few lessons from a skilled instructor are invaluable to develop good tone production habits and concepts. It is the best money a developing player can spend, IMO.

John

Though you as a player is primary, make of clarinet, make of mouthpiece and type of reed you are playing might have a say in the tone you produce too.

What is your set-up?

Chris

Try a harder reed, try to support the note with air from your diaphragm not your chest.

Experiment with changing the shape of your mouth as though you're saying different vowels and notice how the sound changes.

I'm curious Tictactux - how do you receed your wisdom teeth?

I'm curious Tictactux - how do you receed your wisdom teeth?
I clamp my hind cheeks. :)

It's more of a mental thing, like curling one's hyphphysis, or growing roots out of your feet (eg when you're on stage having a speech). It works along the same lines as Loriot's "Pneumatische Plastologie".

Hi Plonk,
I wouldn't assume, tictatux were joking ;-) The free and good sounding low tones will be built from a very hard mental training. If you blow tight and constant flow like for throat tones, the low F or E will be without warm and full sound. But if you open your mind and let the air flow deep and free from your soul, the sound will increase remarkable. Best suited for me is a feeling very near to the necessary "Blues" condition.
It's more a psychological than a technical problem...

kindly
Roman

PS: If I'm asked for "how to play this or that tone?" I could answer seldom in technical details ;-) Most times I can only imagine a picture for (grunting like a pig, blow a candle, use the toilet - but to the upper end of body...). How to declare a system based on pictures free of clarinet ? ;-))

Just like on the saxophone, playing the overtone series from the fingered low notes helps all aspects of tone immeasurably.

Though you as a player is primary, make of clarinet, make of mouthpiece and type of reed you are playing might have a say in the tone you produce too.

What is your set-up?

Chris

Umm, I don't know exactly but I have a vito clarinet with the mouthpiece that came with the clarinet, and I have vandoren reeds. I have also been playing this particular clarinet for 2 years if that helps. Its also plastic(but you probably knew that).

You might want to check out http://www.woodwindforum.com/forum/index.php#the-beginners-corner.1321.

The first thing I'd ask is whether you've mentioned this to your instructor. He might suggest anything from embochure changes to getting a better mouthpiece -- and the above link does have a section on some decent mouthpieces to start on.

Another possibility might be that you have too hard or too soft a reed or that your ligature isn't positioned properly or is too tight.

Back
Top Bottom