I Hate USPS + International

pete

Brassica Oleracea
Staff member
Administrator
Well, mostly.

I recently sold my bari sax to a gentleman from Great Britian (the ad's HERE if you want pics). I called the USPS (US Postal Service) to confirm that the measurements/weight were good and I could ship it out -- as well as find out how much it'd cost.

I then called the UPS Store about getting packaging: the USPS didn't have a box big enough. I bought one: 46l x 20w x 10h. Box alone cost $25. (Shipping international through UPS was almost 2x more than USPS, so I didn't use UPS.)

Kewl. I package the horn per the rather obvious instructions at cybersax.com, remove the carseat from my car and take it to USPS.

"I'm sorry. The box is 2.5" too long."
"Hey, I called your service line and they said that it was fine."
"Sorry. It's not. You need to shorten the length by 2.5" or we can't mail it."

So, I lug the horn back home, unpack it and take a hacksaw to the cardboard box. I cut off 4.5", repack it and bring it back. Which takes a grand total of about 1.5 hours.

"Let's see. Your measurements are ... exactly to spec."

Umm. I measured twice and cut once, so I *know* I cut off 4.5". They also measured twice. Each person. For a total of 4 times. And the box had the measurements stamped on it from the factory. Something tells me that USPS uses tape measures that ... aren't exactly accurate.

Now, I packed the thing with foam peanuts and bubble wrap. The weight ballooned from 29lbs to 32lbs 13oz -- which is important because 35lbs adds a significant penalty. Mmm. Sure the foam peanuts and bubble wrap weigh that much.

So. Not fun. Next time I ship international it'll either be under 4lbs or really small.

I think the biggest horn I've shipped overseas was an alto. That wasn't too bad. The worst part is shipping overseas and then waiting to hear that something arrived. Very annoying.

Years ago I learned never to trust the advice of a grunt in any organization. I always did my own research from the regulations, ordinances, state codes, or federal statutes. Oh, some grunts know their stuff, but I still only listen when they are able to cite the specific section that defines the issue. The rest of it is just bad advice. DAVE

And the grand total was (not counting your time)? Inquiring minds want to know. But the info will probably be obsolete in a week when they RAISE THEIR PRICES AGAIN! :emoji_rolling_eyes:

* Box: $25
* Packaging Materials (foam peanuts, bubble wrap, tape): $20
* Shipping: $121.50
* Insurance (max of $650, which is what I got): $9.05
* Happy wife: priceless.

(BTB, I undercharged my buyer on shipping costs, but PayPal charged him, so it all worked out.)

I'm gonna go with Dave on this one: it would have been far less painful if I had gotten the correct advice the first time around -- and it would have been even better if the USPS had the appropriate packaging. Hey, UPS did. There isn't any good reason why USPS wouldn't have the appropriate packaging for their service.

The only good thing, from my perspective, is that I have already been paid. So, taking a very businesslike outlook on things, it's no longer my problem. I'll help the buyer if he doesn't get the horn, because I'm not evil, but there isn't much else I can do.

BTB, there are no tracking numbers and the USPS attendant said I couldn't get one. There's only a customs number. And regarding the customs form, they have a nice online form that you can fill out -- which is completely useless because your package's weight and dimensions are determined by the USPS, so you have to fill out another form in the office.

I mentioned that DHL/UPS/FredEd are about $100 to $150 more to ship the package. If you want an opinion, it's worth it.

* Box: $25
* Packaging Materials (foam peanuts, bubble wrap, tape): $20
* Shipping: $121.50
* Insurance (max of $650, which is what I got): $9.05
* Happy wife: priceless.

Hmm. That's nearly what we're paying for domestic mail :-(

The FredEx shipping for domestic continental, not including Alaska, would have been around $40 (USPS would be approximately the same). That means international rates cost three times as much.

Back
Top Bottom