I hope I won't be banned for this...

Please remember that Chrome is beta and it does have some security problems. I can't recommend anyone use it because of both of those points.

I'm looking forward to IE 8, primarily because I *have* to use IE, but I prefer Firefox and the add-ons like AdBlock and FlashBlock -- Opera has simular features, but they're not as well implemented and some websites aren't really designed for Opera.

But Opera's very speedy.

IE 7 has an add-on called "IE7 Pro" that has some ad/flash blocking features. I recommend that. However, even with that, IE feels slow. The tests Gandalfe links to bear that out.

The SOTW + IE8 problem may be due to the fact that they have those side banners there. They're placed in odd points for vBulletin (the forum software we both use). IE 8 and Chrome are known to display some display elements a little oddly.

fballatore posted it messes with SOTW. I guess I doesn't have issues with TWF?
You will no longer find that thread there. Based on Jim's comments, I decided to uninstall and reinstall IE 8 Beta 2 under the assumption that something may have gone wrong with the original install. Voila! It now works like a charm! Note that I'm running Vista Ultimate 64-bit. Not sure what might have happened originally.

You will no longer find that thread there. Based on Jim's comments, I decided to uninstall and reinstall IE 8 Beta 2 under the assumption that something may have gone wrong with the original install. Voila! It now works like a charm! Note that I'm running Vista Ultimate 64-bit. Not sure what might have happened originally.
Thanks for removing that thread. I get a little crazy at the uniformed who blame every computer problem on Microsoft. We only contribute a small bit to the huge number of problems in the world of computers. It is a complex, messy world out there. :emoji_rolling_eyes:

FWIW, all the comments I made above are accurate -- even cross-references with Gandalfe's link -- and may actually crop up again. Hey, both IE8 and Chrome are beta and you shouldn't expecrt them to work perfectly.

Microsoft is beaten on too often for some stuff (say, Vista). I haven't even tried IE8 yet and if it can be faster than Firefox and has similar plug-ins, I'll use it. Unfortunately, early results say IE8 is slower than FF.

I acquired some problems with my IE recently but I suspect it was some virus issues. I recently survived some infections and removed them but IE is locking up now and not always responding. It gets hung up and just stops.

I will reinstall at some time in future but in the mean time I am FF compliant.

I liked IE, it had many functions I had gotten used to.
Evil viruses and malicious freaks out there....damn you.:emoji_imp::emoji_imp:

Back
Top Bottom