I need a metronome!

Hello!

I have re opened my clarinet box after years of not! I used to play all through school and loved it and for reasons I stopped playing. I totally forgot I had it until recently when I was going through some old things and wallah! Dusted it off and had it checked out etc and now back in the game! So for the last couple of months I have been falling back in love with it! however its getting abit boring just listening to myself... I sometimes play some other music and see if I can have a jam to it... but then a i noticed a great little thing called a metronome! I dont know too much about them other than they produce beats, ticks, sounds? for you to play along? A friend of mine has one but she said hers is crap and doesnt work that great ... I dont mind paying out if I get a decent one as I know I would use it and seems alot of fun! I know my son would enjoy using it too.. as he plays guitar. Anyways if anyone has any good suggestions for metronomes and of course information on them ...that would be fantastic!

thanks!

If you have a smart phone, there's an app for that. The one I use on my iPhone is called Tempo Advance. It's a pretty slick little app. They don't seem to have an Android version though.

I also have a Boss Quartz tuner, but don't use it much. It eats through 9 volt batteries like crazy.

There are literally tons of metronomes out in the market.
Most electronic tuners have a metronome, so you can get 2 for 1.

You also may want a small pocket metronome that you can dangle around your neck on a string.
or one with a popup stand
There are more complex ones that will do multiple types of tones based on the segment of the beat
or the old standby pendulum metronome (which I prefer)
Or on the Peterson ST-590 (really big and heavy and expensive and it has a tuner on it too).
You can get one to clip on a guitar.

It more comes down to your budget,
The size (throw in your small or large case)
what other features you want (tuner or many advanced metronome features).

This is a very brief search to get you thinking
http://www.wwbw.com/Search/Default.aspx?src=metronome tuner

Personally, I'll be adding a Peterson StroboPlus HD but mostly for tuning even though it has a metronome feature.

I use an app on my phone the most because it is always available. I also recommend thinking rhythms when walking. 8th, 16th, and triplets of all kind. 1 and 2 e and a, straw-ber-ry, 4 and. Good stuff, internalize the beat. Also when listening to a song, try to find the beat and clap to it. Guess the time signature and meter.

Last edited:
Hello! Thanks for your reply! Tempo Advance sounds good although unfortunately I have an android phone! doh! Does the Boss Quartz tuner have the feat? You know any others? need to research more for sure. thanks again!

I'm old school. I like the Wittner metronomes. The Maelzel model that I had finally stopped keeping accurate time after 30+ years, so I just bought a Taktell Piccolo series.

I figure in another 30 years I won't care if it's slightly too slow in tempo, since if I'm still playing at that time, I know I will definitely be slow in my playing tempo. :geezer1: :emoji_smile:

Great thanks! I dont really a pocket one. I want a bigger one for the house, I have a room set aside for playing music so I would eventually like to get some other stuff in there, so a bigger one yes. Ones with a tuner could be ideal actually, i do have a tuner... but is rather basic. So I wouldnt turn my nose at a better one for sure! But just a metronome will do if its cheaper , as like i say I already have a tuner. I really like the idea of having different tones... could be great! thanjs

Hmmm yeah I want to avoid using my phone to be honest. I want to play music away from the distractions of facebook etc... and people calling me ! so I am not interested in an app. But preferrably a classic metronome. thanks for suggestions though of course

I'm old school. I like the Wittner metronomes. The Maelzel model that I had finally stopped keeping accurate time after 30+ years, so I just bought a Taktell Piccolo series.

I figure in another 30 years I won't care if it's slightly too slow in tempo, since if I'm still playing at that time, I know I will definitely be slow in my playing tempo. :geezer1: :emoji_smile:

these look great!!! thanks will look into this for sure!

Hi folks

Thanks for everyones useful suggestions. There certainly more options than I realised. I started checking out SNARK products as a friend suggested to me over the weekend its a great brand for tuners and metronomes combined, he only has a tuner but told me to check their site out .... their products and the brand itself seem good to me from what I can see on their website. I wasn't really after a tuner as well although if its better than mine why not! Does any have any experience on SNARK products? You can get the clip on combined tuner/metronome to a portable ones. However the beauty of the Wittner models after someone suggested has caught my heart! Again different models of metronomes on offer... but I found this beautiful Wittner metronome for sale and its a 811 Pyramid wood metronome... just beautiful... So I am gonna get this ! maybe I could try both if it means i had different settings to play with...different clicks and beats...

I'm a Snark Grand Master. Wrong kind of snark?

Anyhow, there's no particular reason why you can't buy an inexpensive tuner/metronome and get another metronome that just looks cool. A decent Korg tuner/metronome is all of $16 (this one's the top non-guitar/bass tuner/metronome on Amazon).

Oh. It's also required that you watch this clip from Mythbusters.

I have one of these on my piano. I use it for my quartet practice a lot. Since it is a wind up model, no battery necessary. AND, it is gorgeous.
Hi folks

Thanks for everyones useful suggestions. There certainly more options than I realised. I started checking out SNARK products as a friend suggested to me over the weekend its a great brand for tuners and metronomes combined, he only has a tuner but told me to check their site out .... their products and the brand itself seem good to me from what I can see on their website. I wasn't really after a tuner as well although if its better than mine why not! Does any have any experience on SNARK products? You can get the clip on combined tuner/metronome to a portable ones. However the beauty of the Wittner models after someone suggested has caught my heart! Again different models of metronomes on offer... but I found this beautiful Wittner metronome for sale and its a 811 Pyramid wood metronome... just beautiful... So I am gonna get this ! maybe I could try both if it means i had different settings to play with...different clicks and beats...

Back
Top Bottom