I'd like info on this MPC.

I've search high and low but can't get any info on this Beechler MPC. All I'm finding are the new versions with the diamond rather than the "Brilhart" style tooth cushion. I'm looking for age, what the 5S means, tip opening, and whatever else to help me determine what this is. Thanks.

Attachments

• 20220211_232421.jpg
    20220211_232421.jpg
    505.3 KB · Views: 123
  • 20220211_232431.jpg
    20220211_232431.jpg
    419.6 KB · Views: 119
Steve you are correct. This is a fantastic MPC for jazz and other genres where you want to bend the notes and have a good air flow. Still wonderng it's age/time period.

Arnold Brilhart started making mouthpieces in 1939 in New York. In 1946 they moved to Huntington, NY until 1951.
Of course, Elmer Beechler was Brilharts mouthpiece refacer from the beginning. Finishing up the curve, etc of the mouthpiece until he went on his way in and started his own company in 1950.

based upon serial number charts, this mpc would have been made early about 1940.
I have an early 1xxx somewhere and the black one on my website (unless I sold those).
Now the early days of "Beechler" marked mouthpieces is sketchy but I believe he stamped his name on a few Brilharts from time to time using the same serial numbering until he split to start his own company in 1950. But he may have continued to work with Brilhart after that until Selmer USA bought Brilhart out in 1966 (and they later started up again in 1977 with Brilhart).

Last edited:
Steve, you're wonderful. I appreciate your info. From what I gather, my MPC is probably early 50's when Beechler started his own company, yet used the Brilhart design for the tooth cushion. Is that correct? If so then this MPC I have is in new old stock condition.

Steve, you're wonderful. I appreciate your info. From what I gather, my MPC is probably early 50's when Beechler started his own company, yet used the Brilhart design for the tooth cushion. Is that correct? If so then this MPC I have is in new old stock condition.
No. No, and No.
Let me tell you what I think. You may want to contact the Beechler company directly for more accurate information than my speculation.

To put in a basic sense.
Beechler and Brilhart were the SAME company.
In 1940 Beechler was under Brilhart, but sold his line of mouthpieces as Beechler (such as yours). The "Beechler" company is actually self-identified as starting in 1942.
In 1950s Beechler somewhat, kinda "split" from Brilhart to Market and Sell his "Beechler" line of Brilhart mouthpieces.
But it appears they all came from the same assembly line .... just some stamped "Brilhart" and others stamped "Beechler" with other minor differences. So you had (a) BRILHART Manufacturing with two Sales/Marketing arms of (i) Beechler Sales/Marketing and (ii) Brilhart Sales/Marketing. Kinda the same as before except Beechler kept more of the profits from sales.

In 1966 Brilhart sold out to Selmer USA. It appears Beechler also stopped production because he got his stuff from Brilhart.
Selmer since the 50s had a tonalin mpc which I think Brilhart manufactured for them. So Brilhart manufactured mpcs for Brilhart, Beechler and Selmer USA. The building of this Selmer-Brilhart business arrangement may be why Beechler kinda split from Brilhart to protect his name.

In 1977 Brilharts started again (marketed as ARB for Arnold R Brilhart) WITH Beechler after the "non-compete" with Selmer USA expired.
So it appears the two Beechler and Brilhart are cojoined at the hip, so to say. Today the Renee Group sells the Beechler and ARB mouthpieces. They CANNOT sell "Brilhart" labeled mpcs as that name is owned by Selmer USA (or Conn-Selmer now).

So your mpc would be an early Beechler/Brilhart mpc in 1940 ish
In 1950ish they stopped with the ligature lines.

The Tonalin material really is durable and such. I've had clarinet and sax mpcs from early Brilhart/Beechler.
In addition to the Selmer USA versions. If there wasn't a name on them there was virtually no differences in their internal design other than Selmer apparently really only sold Medium facings mpcs and no bite plate and the knurling on the end of some.

I dont' have the mouthpiece in hand to really inspect it properly but Your table appears to be heavily used, not NOS. The rest of it, being tonalin really looks new thanks to the material itself.
Plus someone gouged an "R" just below the bite plate on yours (or maybe the R is on the clear mpc patch). Your biteplate may have been fixed at one time, considering the small cut out in the lower left above the "R". And then the use of a clear mpc patch on top of it to prevent additional wear.

But once again, the Beechler company themselves (Judy the daughter of Elmer) would probably know more than my speculation, thus my hesitancy on writing something like this out. I have not tried to authenticate any of my info becz I long ago moved away from Beechler/Brilhart mpcs.

Thanks again Steve. For someone who says he really doesn't know, you sure provide a great narrative. BTW, the "R" is not engraved but is indeed a clear cushion to protect the bite plate as you called it.

Back
Top Bottom