Interesting eBay Ad

pete

Brassica Oleracea
Staff member
Administrator
By my quick estimate checking Allied's prices for clarinet joints, it appears the lot is being advertised at about 50% of what a repair shop would pay wholesale. That's not a bad deal but all but the very largest repair facilities would sit on that inventory for a long time before most of it is used up. It would take a long time just to break even---let alone make a profit.

IMO the seller would be more successful breaking the lot up and selling individual pieces. I think lots of repair shops would jump at 1 or 2 clarinet joints a half price, but not 71!!!

When one of these is used on a clarinet with a broken lower joint, is the original serial number (plus a star or some other symbol) stamped on the replacement joint? Or, are they just kept "mismatched", as it were?

By my quick estimate checking Allied's prices for clarinet joints, it appears the lot is being advertised at about 50% of what a repair shop would pay wholesale. That's not a bad deal but all but the very largest repair facilities would sit on that inventory for a long time before most of it is used up. It would take a long time just to break even---let alone make a profit.

IMO the seller would be more successful breaking the lot up and selling individual pieces. I think lots of repair shops would jump at 1 or 2 clarinet joints a half price, but not 71!!!

Might be a deal for someone to buy the lot, then do just that...

When one of these is used on a clarinet with a broken lower joint, is the original serial number (plus a star or some other symbol) stamped on the replacement joint? Or, are they just kept "mismatched", as it were?
Sometimes replacement joints come unmarked. When we ordered one of these in the shop where I worked we would just scribe by hand or engrave the serial number into the bottom of the joint. A star wasn't needed because the crappy looking numbers gave away the fact that it was a replacement body. I have never heard of a repair shop having the set up to actually stamp numbers into the bodies of instruments.

Looks like it ended and there were no bids. I'm somewhat surprised it wasn't relisted.

Back
Top Bottom