Is this a deal?

I think it's a very competitive price, even if it needs new pads. Remember: if it's not mentioned in the auction, assume that it needs 'em :).

I'd want one. I'm just not quite sure how much above $1650 I'd pay, but Quinn's price is lower than a new YTS-23.

*Sigh.* Makes me wish I had more money.

I just searched completed listings for SX-90Rs and found a couple altos in similar condition go for more than the bin on that Tenor.

that's a good price indeed.

IIRC, the Ponzol was the last Keilwerth to have traditional rolled tone holes. The "rings" were first on the SX90. I think. In any event, the presence or lack of rolled tone holes doesn't do anything for the sound. "Leveling" might be a bit of an issue.

First, my very, very old interview with Peter Ponzol is at http://www.saxpics.com/Keilwerth-old/Old/pponzol.htm. Hasn't been taken down, yet.

Second, the auction's been ended. Dunno why. It didn't meet the "buy-it-now" price.

Third, I might have an explanation for pricing. The ad also says, "The bow has been shortened slightly to improve intonation in the lowe [sic] register." That will give a few folks some pause.

Y'know, Gandalfe and Quinn should have their own business. Quinn buys the horns and Gandalfe play-tests them and posts a review. That'd be kewl.

Y'know, Gandalfe and Quinn should have their own business. Quinn buys the horns and Gandalfe play-tests them and posts a review. That'd be kewl.
I'm out of the instrument buying phase of my life. I have my dream instrument in every category. Now it's all about finding play opportunities for the oddities like the bass or soprano sax and CBC CAC. :cool:

Last edited:
Probably a good horn. I prefer the earlier ones even though I find that the D is a bit more stuffy than the later ones.

This is what I'm trying to do lately. Unfortunately I need some venture capital.....

Back
Top Bottom