Is this a good choice for middle schooler?

Hello all,

My daughter is in her 3rd year playing clarinet and absolutely loves it! I've read many great posts here and others to identify quality upgrades from her plastic Vito. I somewhat impulsively purchased (online) what appears to be a really clean Selmer Signet Special for around $100, which included a very nice hard case with a blue "Selmer" inlay on the exterior. The clarinet has markings of 635 and P0070705. Does anyone have any idea what these mean? The P00 is throwing me off and I wonder if I made a good choice! Any input would be greatly appreciated! Thanks so much!!!

The Signet Special is a good horn, provided there isn't any mechanical problems. I'd recommend having a tech do a quick check on it to make sure everything's working the way it should.

I'm not quite sure what those letters and numbers mean. One could assume that "70705" is a serial number, which would mean the horn was made in 1967/8, but that's just a guess. Pictures are always a good idea.

As a secondary recommendation, you might want to look at a better mouthpiece, if your daughter's using the original one that came with the Vito. You might want to talk with her teacher about that.

Thanks for your input! Visually, it looks very nice but I planned to have it serviced/cleaned before she uses it. I couldn't find anything online that might resolve the mystery "PO" or "P0" and thought someone out there may have the answer!

Back
Top Bottom