Untitled Document

Advertisement Click to advertise with us!

Its gross but spit blocking the reed?

Im finding I can play 2 lines or 2 staffs of music with a smooth sound, but the sounds starts to sound sort of bubbly and the reed/mouth piece is getting spit build up in it.
The clarinet is facing down, and I am playing it normal volume.

As soon as I stop and suck back through the clarinet and then clean the reed/mouth piece it plays fine again till it blocks up again.
I usually play easily 30min after eating.

I was wondering if anyone had some ideas?

Cheers

How long are you playing? (in years, not per session). I had this problem too in the beginning - having something in my mouth automatically triggered the spit glands. This will pass after a few weeks. In the meantime, whenever there's a rest in your piece, try to swallow whatever liquid has accumulated in your mouth.
And don't think of lemons while playing. :)

Also don't used scented cork grease. Back when I was playing clarinet more regularly, they had this. It's not a good idea for something so close to your mouth.

Spit will get between the reed and mouthpiece facing to some degree no matter what I do. But not to the degree you mention. It does happen a lot more when I am practicing on my Legere (plastic) reed. Every so often I take the reed off & wipe it as well as the mouthpiece. I do this occasionally with my Vandoren reeds at rehearsals and concerts, but can go probably a whole concert without doing so if need be.
If I am up next for a stand up solo (or solo within a piece), I will sneak a little time beforehand to wipe the reed, mouthpiece, and reposition the reed perfectly before I'm up.

Back
Top Bottom