It's here!

kymarto

Content Expert/Moderator
Staff member
CE/Moderator
Wow, wow, wow. I am in love. My new tárogató arrived yesterday, and it is a gem. The intontation is really, really good, much better than I expected, and it plays perfectly. The wood is wonderful--african grenadilla. Really nicely made. The bell is palisander, and the contrast is beautiful.

It turns out that the reason for the different wood for the bell is that grenadilla was extremely expensive, and therefore the bell was made of a cheaper wood, as it was considered that the different wood would not compromise the sound. We know, of course, that the wood doesn't really make a difference, but grenadilla is definitely closer-grained and nicer to work, so perhaps it had to do with the ability to cut sharp edges and work it finely.

The horn is in perfect playing condition. It is in amazingly good shape for its age (100 years). There is a fine crack in the bell, but it is hairline and no problem. The plating on the keys is perfect. One pad cup appears to have been remade, as it is brass instead of german silver, but the mechanism is good throughout. This is no Buffet clarinet, but definitely a cut above the Timis.

My only real regrets are that it does not have the fork F resonance key, or a second octave key. However I can get it to play up until the C (two octaves plus one note) with care--like playing sax altissimo the last couple of steps. It plays beautifully two octaves.

It is two-ring, allowing for interesting gliss possibilities and shadings. I will try to post pics within a week, and try to do a sound file as well, but I will be traveling for the next few days, so no possibility before then.

The mpc needed work. It was very closed, with a very low baffle and a thin throat. This made the sound very tubby. I have opened it up in the throat, and opened the tip considerably, and that has helped a lot, without making is horribly bright and buzzy. At $1450, I consider this a steal.

I asked about provenance. It was made by an unknown craftsman. It is stamped "Remenyi", but they were only resellers, and did not make the instruments they sold. I saw another Remenyi instrument in pictures, and it was a completely different horn, much cheaper. The fact that this is made of grenadilla seems to indicate that it was a high-class instrument, and they keywork tends to bear that out.

I am experimenting with a higher baffle, and I did find something interesting for George: a higher baffle definitely facilitates the production of the highest notes. I do like the mellow sound from the low baffle though, so I am going to try to compromise by leaving the front of the baffle relatively low, making the middle higher, and opening up the back chamber a bit more.

More later. Wow. I am really pleased...

Sounds great! I'm glad to hear it's everything you wished for so to speak. A real breath of fresh air after the last one!
I look forward to hearing your new instrument's sound.

The keywork set up sounds very delightful especially to my taste, even if it is missing a few fun key elements (no pun intended).

A lot of tárogatós I've met have a different material for the bell so I know for a fact that that's relatively commonplace, besides the look is very dynamic and beautiful as a bonus. I think I may have seen that tárogató on ebay shortly before you purchased it, I was admiring it a bit but wasn't ready for the sticker shock. Glad you got it!

Sounds like it was relatively well taken care of. And remember even a 100 year old buffet clarinet still has it's issues, as with any seldom played instrument of that age. ;)

My only real regrets are that it does not have the fork F resonance key, or a second octave key. However I can get it to play up until the C (two octaves plus one note) with care--like playing sax altissimo the last couple of steps. It plays beautifully two octaves.

I am experimenting with a higher baffle, and I did find something interesting for George: a higher baffle definitely facilitates the production of the highest notes. I do like the mellow sound from the low baffle though, so I am going to try to compromise by leaving the front of the baffle relatively low, making the middle higher, and opening up the back chamber a bit more.

More later. Wow. I am really pleased...

Great, I'm glad it turned out so well!

Regarding anything above the high Bb (which is the last playable note for me), I realized that I have pretty much no need to ever go that high. But that Bb is important to me, so I keep hammering at it. Getting better.

Interesting about the high baffle. When I made the mpc for my Timis (which is officially mine as of Saturday night), I didn't carve it as deep as the main MPC - and surely enough, that high Bb is easier than on my main instrument. Could be the baffle shape. I'm not experienced enough to plan these things, but perhaps this info gives me better guidance for the next one.

George

Funny you did the same thing with your mp baffle as I did. I carved it ever so slightly "shallower" however for me it had the opposite effect but I think it's my style and reed choice that's affecting it more so.

High Bb is a chore on my unidentified "Romanian" instrument, and always has been no matter what I do with me, my set up, or my instrument itself. It has such a nice lower register though which makes up for the weirdness.

Funny you did the same thing with your mp baffle as I did. I carved it ever so slightly "shallower" however for me it had the opposite effect but I think it's my style and reed choice that's affecting it more so.

High Bb is a chore on my unidentified "Romanian" instrument, and always has been no matter what I do with me, my set up, or my instrument itself. It has such a nice lower register though which makes up for the weirdness.

I built up the back of the baffle, starting about 1 cm back from the tip. I also opened the tip way up.

For those looking for Hungarian instruments this site is an interesting alternative to eBay perhaps. There seems to be a fair turnover of instruments and prices seem OK:

http://www.afolk.hu/bolt/index.php?...rtuemart&Itemid=98&lang=en&vmcchk=1&Itemid=98

I opened the tip of my mp just enough to have a "responsive" feel that matched my needs but not "way up". Modifying an already made mp is a lot different than making one. Add up take down versus start flat, which is another reason I like to make new ones versus tinker with old ones. Either way I'm sure what you both did is sufficient.

Great site by the way, thank you. :)

Back
Top Bottom