Untitled Document

Advertisement Click to advertise with us!

It's the start of a new season

Gandalfe

Striving to play the changes in a melodic way.
Staff member
Administrator
The last few years our band president was a project manager type so we got schedules like this:

wcbSample.JPG

Now we get nothing but the concert dates on the website. Sometimes you don't know how good you have it until you don't ... have it. I send out part assignments that look like this. I know the section members' strengths and preferences, so far there have been no complaints.

WCBsaxSampleAssignments.JPG

I find myself once again copying music for the sax section. So many copies, at least I have folders so that the solo assignments are clear. And this year I needed to find a bari sax and a tenor sax player. I think I have that copied, it can be a challenge to get them to show up.

Fortunately I play in various bands every year so my horn is in good condition. I called a sax sectional a couple of weeks ago and only two (of the five) people showed up. Both of them had weak embouchures ... sigh. I can only imagine what the rest of the section have.

Ah well, yes ... it's a new season.

It could be worse. I could be playing bari. Let's see -- and I can because of the forum's search function. The last time I played a bari was 2008. Which was slightly before I had to stop playing and singing because of my head problems. Let that be a lesson to everyone: don't stop playing or your head will explode.

Jim, oddly enough, I ran across a video a day or two ago about making "perfect" spreadsheets. It was pretty interesting. Of course, I can't find it now ...

Anyhow, snapping back to your chart, Jim. I see you've got Sleigh Ride and Christmas Festival. Both the Leroy Anderson ones?

One of the few things I miss not being able to do at Christmas is play these. I've played both pieces in concerts on Bb soprano clarinet, bass clarinet, Bb contrabass clarinet, Eb alto sax, Bb tenor sax, and Eb baritone sax over the years. I remember the contrabass (Leblanc paperclip on a peg stand) shaking all over during the last part of "A Christmas Festival." Good times.

Back
Top Bottom