JR Lafleur Varsity: A Thread for Helen

pete

Brassica Oleracea
Staff member
Administrator
... She asked about these specific horns on her blog. (Lafleur bought a whole bunch of stencils, so I want to be specific.) This is just going to be some information slush.

JR Lafleur was purchased by Boosey & Sons in 1917, according to this, or was purchased by Boosey & Hawkes in 1940, according to this. Boosey & Sons and Hawkes & Son merged around 1930, according to several sources.

Personally, I think the bell-to-body brace, where it meets the body, looks an awful lot like the Hawkes XX Century horns. I don't know about Boosey & Sons: the ones I've seen don't have rollers, etc. I think that's something to check, too.

Oh. I'm also relatively positive that the "No. 21" on the bell is the model number. I saw a couple posts from folks with the same number stamped/engraved. There's also a "No. 143."

JR Lafleur is not to be confused with the "La Fleur", uhm, "brand", (often enough misspelled as "Lafleur") which encompasses many stencils from B&S, Amati and other foreign makers.

JR Lafleur is not to be confused with the "La Fleur", uhm, "brand", (often enough misspelled as "Lafleur") which encompasses many stencils from B&S, Amati and other foreign makers.
There's also, according to Musica Viva, a Joseph René Lafleur who may or may not be associated with JR Lafleur. For some reason that makes more sense to me AFTER I've taken my controlled-substance headache medicine (prescribed!).

That's kinda why I made the disclaimer of "these specific horns" and provided a linky. Helen's got pictures of three or four stencil JR Lafleurs on her website. Some are stamped "Made in France" and things like that.

Just noticed this. Better late than never. I was suffering from severe sleep deprivation yesterday. (4 hours sleep after a late night gig the night before, just don't go as far as they did when I was in my 20s.) :tongue:

Kevin (the horn's owner) also found a link somewhere online that he's going to send me. It says that Hüttl, the man, went to work for B&H I believe. Once he's sent me the link, I'll post it. What I found fascinating is that there was someone named Hüttl. Makes sense, I'd just never heard that before.

While I definitely dig the Germanic roots, I thought all Hüttl saxophones were stencils. Or is this a different Hüttl?

Back
Top Bottom