Just joined. I am loving my Nuvo Dood but want to graduate to a real instrument.

I have always loved music and started on guitar and then the flute and am okay on the drums.
Last month on a trip to London I saw a guy playing a Bamboosax near the Liverpool tube station. I did not purchase it that day and when I returned he was not there.
I purchased what I thought looked similar from Amazon when I returned home from vacation and was dissatisfied with it and then I purchased the Nuvo Dood and I can't put it down. I love it but I realize it has limitations.
I never played a reed instrument before this. I have about $200 to $250 USA to spend, and am a germaphobe so I don't want to buy a used instrument and I also don't want to buy a large instrument.
What do you think I should try for ease of use? I want to teach myself first and then graduate to a teacher. I read music well enough. Should I start with a clarinet, an alto sax or a soprano sax? Which would be easier for me to get clear notes out if I practice consistently every day? Will welcome any advice. Thanks in advance.

Firstly, and this is key. I recommend using an instructor to help you with the bad habits that are harder to break than to pick up. No, really. A big plus is that you will progress *much* faster with a good instructor.

All the instruments you mention are good EXCEPT the soprano sax. It takes a lot more time to play well and even professional musicians can sound bad on that instrument. When picking an instrument for the first time, I recommend picking your favorite from clarinet, alto or tenor sax. From those instruments you can play another reed instrument in the future rather handily. And you can get some really nice instruments for decent prices because they are so popular.

Don't forget to ask you relatives if they have one in the closet that never gets used. So many of my friends starting out were pleased to find that method of acquisition worked to their benefit. And it is often overlooked.

Last edited:
+1 on the no soprano sax. +1 on get a teacher and have him/her teach you.

$200 to $250 is going to be rough for a new instrument, other than something from China, and a lot of Chinese horns are of questionable quality. Quinn, our forum sponsor, has had new student Buffet clarinets for sale. You might want to click on the link or check out his main website.

In terms of easy to play, the alto is #1 on the list. Clarinet is #2. Soprano is a distant, distant #3. Of course, "easy to play" doesn't equal "you'll be a good player."

I'll second and third the comments on soprano sax. As someone who plays saxophone professionally, as well as teaches students, I can tell you, soprano sax is a difficult one to master. I would never recommend one to my beginning students.

Like most here I started on alto. Then I switched to tenor after a year when I realized it was more "my voice". I added soprano after 4 years of playing--and 4 years of private lessons.

Sopranos take a great deal of control of your facial muscles (embouchure). Even the slightest adjustments will change the pitch of a note. Furthermore, cheap sopranos are notoriously out of tune, and pretty much worthless. Many are out of tune with themselves, and can't be played with others due to their tuning issues.

If you buy a soprano, you need to buy the best professional model you can afford.

One last thing about soprano saxophones, if you do want to play with others, soprano saxophones give you few opportunities to do just that. For most people playing in community bands is their go-to place. Concert band music contains no soprano sax parts. Neither for that matter, do big band charts for the most part. In the end, a soprano sax-only player has very limited options for playing.

It is a great instrument to double on if you already play say alto or tenor, but alone it is very much a bit of a social pariah.

I want to thank all of you for your answers. I will wait and save more money to put towards a better instrument most likely an alto sax.
and I will get a teacher. I remembered that my brother in Canada had and may still have a really good alto sax that he has not used for years since high school band and I will ask him if he still wants it and make him an offer he can't refuse. SMILE. I really learned a lot from your answers and am glad I joined this forum. Sorry for taking so long with my thank you.
Life and a few unexpected things got in the way since I joined the forum and posted this question.

Back
Top Bottom