Just picked up an EWI USB

Hi
Just joined this group after picking up a used Akai EWI USB. I’ve played saxophone for years and thought I’d try out an EWI with the aim of playing it as an alternative to flute/brass in a party band. I was wondering if anybody out there has any advice/expertise in setting this instrument up for (preferably wireless) stage use.

I got the EWI quite cheap but with no extras. I can download support software and docs from the Akai website, but how do I play instruments that are not built into the EWI?

Apologies for ignorance and thanks in advance.

Kevin

You can play instruments not built into the horn via MIDI or USB, depending on the interface that the device uses. Examples:

You want to connect the Akai to a Roland D50, so you can use the D50 as your sound generator. Pick up a USB to MIDI adapter.
You want to connect the Akai to your computer, because you want to use some VST/VSTi (Virtual Instrument) that you downloaded. Connect the appropriate USB cable from your AKAI to your computer.
Akai may have come out with a firmware upgrade that gives you more sounds and/or you can download the Garritan (spelling may not be accurate) sound libraries for your computer. Search Akai's website.

I have zero experience using wireless MIDI, so I don't have a specific suggestion. There are a lot of wireless MIDI adapters. The only thing I can say is that you want the lowest latency possible. The "latency" is the time between you blowing a note and hearing it through a speaker. If latency is high, you're going to get echo. You also have to make sure it fits on your Akai, e.g. USB A or USB C.

Last edited:
Couple other things. Note that if you're going to use sounds on a synth/sampler/whatever you're definitely going to need an amplifier for that device, unless it has good built-in speakers (which it probably won't). If you're going to use sounds on a computer, you need good speakers or an amplifier. Remember that you have to lug this stuff around, too.

Couple other things. Note that if you're going to use sounds on a synth/sampler/whatever you're definitely going to need an amplifier for that device, unless it has good built-in speakers (which it probably won't). If you're going to use sounds on a computer, you need good speakers or an amplifier. Remember that you have to lug this stuff around, too.
That’s brilliant, Pete. Thank you so much for your detailed replies.

I use a (sadly discontinued) Yamaha VL70m synth. It uses Physical Modeling synthesis, and it's the only sound module I've ever used with my WX that feels like I'm playing an instrument, instead of triggering samples. And I've been playing wind synth since the late 1980s.

If you can get one with the Patchman Turbo aftermarket sounds, IMO it's worth the extra money.

And of course, if there is anything I can help with, please don't hesitate to ask.

Notes ♫

Thanks Bob. I’ve now found out how to connect my EWI USB to my iPad using a Yamaha UD-BT01 Wireless MIDI Adaptor, phone charger battery and a very useful YouTube video - so I’m hoping I’m one step closer to my goal of a wireless on stage set up. What I need is some way of connecting my EWI output signal to a sound desk/PA system, preferably with a wide range of sounds. Does your Yamaha device generate sounds signals that can then be sent to a sound desk?
Thanks in advance, Bob.

My WX5 sends out MIDI data, either from a standard 5 Pin DIN connector, or the proprietary WX cable, which also supplies DC power to the WX.

In either case, the output is good ol' MIDI, and can run any synth or computer app that recognizes MIDI.

I gig for a living, and never used wireless. I haven't had a need for that, so I haven't even bothered to investigate it. It just seems like one more thing to schlep, and one more piece of gear to potentially fail down the road.

The WX sends out pitch bend from the reed, breath from Continuous Controller #2, and it has a rocker switch that can send out two other C.C. signals to control whatever your synth patch needs, as long as you assign the patch to those controllers.

My setup is
  1. WX5, MIDI output via WX cable – to…
  2. Yamaha MFC10, a foot pedal that allows me to change synth patches. That way, I can change patches in the middle of a solo if I want without taking my hands off the WX - to…
  3. MIDI Solutions foodswitch controller. I use this simply to transpose the WX to be concert, Bb or Eb. There are songs I want to play both sax and wind synth on, and I find it a lot easier if the two instruments are in the same key – not necessary, but convenient - MIDI output goes to…
  4. Yamaha VL70m synth. Audio output goes to the mixer, first 63 patches have sounds, above that all patches are silent. MIDI thru goes to…
  5. Yamaha TX81z synth. The first 64 patches are silent, and above that a lot of old-fashioned sounds that are useful when playing 1980s and 1990s music (we do a variety from the 1920s to the 2020s). Sound output goes to the mixer, and the MIDI thru goes to…
  6. A second VL70m. It's basically a spare module, in case the first one fails.
So simply by changing patches, I can go from the VL to the TX. Both on the same MIDI channel and a couple of patches play both, so I can have two instruments (sax and trumpet or trombone).

I play sax, flute, wind synth, and guitar on stage. If the flute, sax, or guitar breaks, I can cover the parts with a WX/VL combo. I also bring a second WX to the gig. I'm a “the show must go on” person.

I make my own backing tracks (I also play bass, drums, and enough keys to fake it) and bring two computers with my mp3 tracks on both, because the show must go on. But that's another thread.

So back to your EWI

Is the output MIDI or audio sounds?

What happens after that depends on that question.

Notes ♫

Last edited:
Me playing my WX5 with red plastic film affixed to make it look snazzier.

It's at a place we gigged at for 12.5 years until COVID hit, and it got sold.

It's the birthplace of the US Navy SEALS, and the building is the original guard house. We are on the quay, behind us is the exterior wall, and all the things affixed to the wall were left by SEALS, who come once a year for a reunion (annual muster).

When it got sold, and the new owners wanted to cut costs, we went to a competitor who hired us on the spot. He says we have a job there for as long as we like. So we'll probably gig there until he sells it.

x_lil_jim_bob_wx5_LarryBFoto.jpg

Wow, Bob! That’s a heck of a set-up - and a really detailed response. Thank you sincerely for the time spent. I’m starting from a point of zero knowledge regarding midi related matters. I currently play sax in a number of bands but would like to play ‘trumpet’ and ‘flute’ for starters. So if, as a starting point, I want to play the EWI on stage using the sounds already on the EWI, using your information I think I need to set up as below:

Akai EWI with USB lead (sending out MIDI data) to
A synthesiser sound module with a USB input and an XLR and/or 1/4” jack output to the desk

I’m guessing that your own system developed over time, so I’d be looking to develop as needed.

Me playing my WX5 with red plastic film affixed to make it look snazzier.

It's at a place we gigged at for 12.5 years until COVID hit, and it got sold.

It's the birthplace of the US Navy SEALS, and the building is the original guard house. We are on the quay, behind us is the exterior wall, and all the things affixed to the wall were left by SEALS, who come once a year for a reunion (annual muster).

When it got sold, and the new owners wanted to cut costs, we went to a competitor who hired us on the spot. He says we have a job there for as long as we like. So we'll probably gig there until he sells it.

View attachment 10601
Brilliant!! Wish I was close enough to drop into one of your gigs!!

The WX5 has no internal sounds, so for me, it was a no brainer to go external. And yes, it took time to develop my current setup.

I started with the WX7, Yamaha's first model, hooked to a TX81z with the output into the PA Mixer. That started to wear out, so I bought a WX11, Yamaha's second model (I know, the numbers don't make sense). When the WX5 came out, I bought one and liked it much better than the two previous models, added the VL70m, and eventually the Patchman sounds and my current setup.

I thought about an EWI. No moving parts sounded good to me, but someone told me that the bite sensor's return to pitch depended on a capacitor, and I wouldn't have complete control over the speed. I know they have bend plates for vibrato with a finger or thumb, but I already knew how with the WX reed, so I never tried it.

Roland makes a wind synthesizer now, and from what I've heard, it's really nice. The top of the line is expensive, and I have so much invested in the WX system that I haven't jumped on it – yet. But some day in the future... ... ...

I play in a duo. http://www.s-cats.com My wife sings and plays synth (Buchla Tunder tactile MIDI controller) and rhythm guitar. She is also a fantastic singer—world-class.

I play sax, flute, wind synth, and lead guitar on the gig. I also sing, but I classify myself as decent, not great.

With both voices, the sax, flute, and the wind synth voices, we get more variety out than a two-guitar, two male voice duo can. That is an asset, as people find it more interesting for longer periods of time.

You'll find out with the EWI, you will be able to do trumpet, trombone and many other instruments as well as pure synth sounds.

If you care to emulate another instrument, you will find yourself listening carefully to recordings of those instruments, in a way you never listened to them before.

How each instrument expresses itself depends on the instrument even more than the player. Listen to the nuances. How do they get their expression, and then figure out how to emulate it on the synth. This is more important than the actual tone.

You can have the best trumpet sound in the world, but if you play it like you play a piano, or a saxophone, it might sound good, but it won't sound like a trumpet.

A new world of sound awaits you. Enjoy the journey.

Notes ♫

If I get over to South Florida I’ll check you out. I love the web site - it’s given me some inspiration!

Best wishes

Kevin

Let me know if you come by, our schedule keeps changing.

The owner of the place where we play regularly, just switched our days. We were getting rained out in the afternoon, so he adjusted.

Back
Top Bottom