Key Click Training

Gandalfe

Striving to play the changes in a melodic way.
Staff member
Administrator
Paul Haar: Practicing Late at Night

A friend of mine travels a lot and has been trying to figure out how to practice whilst on the road. Part of it is about getting an instrument that is small enough to be in your carry on, think soprano sax. But the other part is about finding a place that you can play and not bother the neighbors. So this article from the Sax Journal came to mind and I thought I’d share it with you.

http://www.paulhaarmusic.com/Info Corner_files/ImprovingTechnique.pdf
Using Key Clicks by Paul Haar.

Gordon adds: "Before I purchased a basement, I found the whisper mute worked well enough for this: http://www.saxophones.co.uk/acatalog/e-sax_Electronic_Whisper_Mutes.html.
Bonus: it includes an integrated microphone and chip that allows you to wear headphones/mix in your Aebersolds/apply effects/whatever… However, it’s only for alto, and it’s not the most portable thing in the world. Someday, I might even be talked into selling mine."

The key click thing sounds fascinating to me. Surely not as satisfying as playing but maybe a very doable solution for me to consider so that I can improve my technique and rhythm. I can see hooking up a metronome for the session. But mute thang has never been that interesting to me.

I kinda like the idea of the "Sax Mute" but it looks overly clunky. It *might* be the best thing since sliced Kenny G. I wouldn't mind trying one.

At least it's somewhat portable.

Makes me wonder, tho, if you shouldn't just get a wind controller. Might be able to find a used one cheaper than the "Sax Mute" (which is about $600 US for the alto version).

A wind controller will get you to a higher level of proficiency. but mainly on a wind controller. Aside from the fingering differences, there is almost zero equivalence as far as blowing into one compared to a saxophone.

I used to do most of my on the road practicing on the clarinet, simply because it was more portable than anything else. However, when I had to spend a couple of months over in New Orleans during hurricane recovery activities, I took an alto along as well, this to practice baritone parts. Aside from the minor fingering difference (no low A), it seemed to work pretty well.

I dunno. The WX5/7/11 have saxophone-ish fingering. Yes, it doesn't have an identical G# cluster and the side keys are different, but it is simular. And would work somewhat OK for the "key click" thing.

And you get a new toy out of it that you might just be able to use in a gig.

Havening an alto to play in place of the bari doesn't satisfy the "quieter" point of the "sax mute".

Now, I seem to remember that there was an in-neck saxophone mute called a Sordello or some such and I seem to remember people saying that it did what it was supposed to do fairly well. However, putting anything in the horn's neck would tend to throw off your technique, I'd think.

I've learned to actually play super quietly in a sense. I can practice as i normally would but i've somehow learned how to play (full airstream et all) and not get the reed to vibrate much. You get mostly the rush of air and a very minor sound. I'm not sure where i point the airstream, which is probably the key - i'll have to pay attention next time. But i can practice really at anytime day or night. I can only do this on Sax though, not clarinet.

I've learned to actually play super quietly in a sense. I can practice as i normally would but i've somehow learned how to play (full airstream et all) and not get the reed to vibrate much. You get mostly the rush of air and a very minor sound. I'm not sure where i point the airstream, which is probably the key - i'll have to pay attention next time. But i can practice really at anytime day or night. I can only do this on Sax though, not clarinet.

Yes!

Try to find a volume that is barely audible, but involves fully playing the horn. I try to stop the volume just as the first bit of it is emerging from the horn. So you hear the actual note, but it's not really speaking out of the horn, it's just wispering. It's a volume slightly lower than normal conversation level.

Works very well in late night hotel rooms.

Yes!

Try to find a volume that is barely audible, but involves fully playing the horn. I try to stop the volume just as the first bit of it is emerging from the horn. So you hear the actual note, but it's not really speaking out of the horn, it's just wispering. It's a volume slightly lower than normal conversation level.

Works very well in late night hotel rooms.

good to know someone else does this. I have a hard time explaining what I do. But i find it much cheaper and easier than buying those big sax case mute things

good to know someone else does this. I have a hard time explaining what I do. But i find it much cheaper and easier than buying those big sax case mute things

Hey guys,

I spend a lot of my practicing time--maybe as much as 3/4--in this whisper mode. I do it because I have to, but I worry a lot that it's actually bad training for tone production. I hope not, because my own house is nowhere in sight these days!

Rory

Back
Top Bottom