Untitled Document

Advertisement Click to advertise with us!

Leblanc Pete Fountain model clarinet

jbtsax

Distinguished Member
Distinguished Member
I have a friend who is an amazing traditional jazz (formerly Dixieland) player who is looking for a Pete Fountain Leblanc, preferably with gold plated keys. If anyone knows of one for sale, please post a link or contact information. Thanks.

Steve

Clarinet CE/Moderator
Staff member
CE/Moderator
Those certainly are very nice looking. I was always curious why more didn't gold plate keys.
Then I pinged Anderson plating on gold plating one of my clarinets keys. After getting the quote I then realized why many people don't opt for it.
Backun has certain models with gold plated keys now as standard, with prices to match.

pete

Brassica Oleracea
Staff member
Administrator
Those certainly are very nice looking. I was always curious why more didn't gold plate keys.
Yamaha also sells clarinets with gold plated keys. Here's a CSG. Looks like all the "H" models (e.g. "YCL-CSG-H") are "Hamilton" gold plated (PDF brochure download). It's a "gold with some nickel and copper added" finish. Further, Yamaha claims that this impacts the clarinet's tone. I've argued that I'm sure that's true, but probably by .00000000001%.

Oh. Sorry. Further: I've never really worried about the keywork. I do understand that people do have allergies to nickel or silver and I'm sure that folks have allergies to both. That aside, I just think it's so hard for the audience to see the keywork that you're not really doing yourself a favor by getting the gold plating over nickel. I was able to find one place that sells the CSGIII in silver and gold. Silver is 2670 Pounds Sterling and gold is 3224 Pounds Sterling. That's $3406 vs. $4024, so about $600 extra for plating. Ouch.

Steve

Clarinet CE/Moderator
Staff member
CE/Moderator
I forgot about the Yamaha Hamilton plating.

I'll tell you one thing though, when taking pics of someone holding a clarinet with gold plating it certainly shows off well. Gold on a black/dark instrument is really pronounced. That was the main reason i wanted it done .. it looks awesome.

Also the visual contrast is similar to red or black pads on a brass gold lacquer sax.
And the reason green or red felts are used on brass instruments (and saxes). White felt is just lost visually.

Sometimes the "look" is worth it.

I can't see gold plating my RC Prestige because the silver plating on it is so nice, same with my Leblanc LLs
On my R13 I can see redoing the nickel keywork though, but I play my RC mostly.

pete

Brassica Oleracea
Staff member
Administrator
Remember, I had one of these beauties:

serveimage.jpg

I'm also very, very fond of the Conn "Violin Finish" horns, boxwood, and various metal horns. I'd love to give CJ Sax's all ivory horn a toot, too. I'm also pretty fond of the look of the Backun horns. Of course, I'm not saying anything about how good or bad they play :).

Top Bottom