Untitled Document

Advertisement Click to advertise with us!

Ledoux?

Tammi,

does the C#/G# touch - is it more flatish ? does it have a flat spring underneath instead of a needle spring.

also check the RH spatula keys - do any have flat springs underneath them ?

keywork on the ebay link looks cheapish (not much artisian handiwork) in a way - like the Ab/Eb sliver key

sheet metal trill key guide
twin LH alt key posts
i think the bell ring fell off

sometimes ppl buy a clarinet due to the mpc. I've done that myself ...

Last edited:
I'm going to ask the young man who is borrowing it to bring it to Monday Night Marching rehearsal. I'll get some good pictures and post them for you.

I can't remember if there's a flat spring under the C#/G# or if the touch is flatish, but I'm pretty sure the spatula keys have needle springs.

I'm sorry I can't be of more help right now. I haven't seen this clarinet in nearly a year. I hope he's been taking good care of it.

I got a few photos of my Ledoux. I apologise if the quality isn't very good. If you need to see anything special, let me know.

The young man gave it back until he knows if he'll need it again for Concert band. I wish he would have kept a little cleaner.

Maybe it's better if I don't know anything about this clarinet.
I guess it's secret is safe.

but seriously

I have a clarinet here i'm looking at which has very similar features
nicely scultered RH sliver key
that weird kind to the arm of the RH stack top pad
LH sliver key design
throat key desgn

can you take a pic of the register key - the entire thing from the side with i topen ?

I have a "Symphonie Artist" here which, from my research seems to be a Sears sold SML
though yours i a little higher quality and older. Min has a barrel trill key guide. and yours has posts wtih screw snks next to them whch usually is found on higher quality clarinets.

Last edited:
I wasn't sure how close you wanted.
Hopefully one of these will be of help.

So what do you think Steve?
Is it maybe worth at least the $60 I've got into it?

So what do you think Steve?
Is it maybe worth at least the $60 I've got into it?

Does it sound like it's worth more than the 60 bucks you put into?

When I see a UJ with tenon caps, I'm always optimistic to have found a better-than-cheap instrument. But ultimately it's the sound that counts.

(edited) - the register vent discounted SML

so next was thinking a Malerne. I have a few on the shelves. Standards. but things just were not the same. Some things were not as "elegant" on the standard as your clarinet .. L throat keys, quick bend on top of keys to cups and machined flat, etc

ok .....

what had me were a few things
the closeness of the first ring arm to the post
The separate throat key posts
old sheet trill key guides
thicker RH rings
the more elegantly curved tips of the keys to support the pad cups
the too side key which is a long though curvie touch piece and then a straight key arm
tenon caps

so i was a bit stymied until i found this

but this looks to be a more identical match ... still a Malerne
http://cgi.ebay.com/R-Malerne-Pro-W...ryZ47098QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

i'm still looking at the pics too.
there are a few things like the RH sliver key which is not shaped the same but it's a close match

Last edited:
The Malerne is almost an exact match to the Ledoux. They both have the metal band at the top and bottom of the center tenon.
Serial #'s are similar as well. The ebay horn is a D4****, Mine is D3693.
It's hard to tell from the photos but I think mine has better quality wood.

It played really well before I loaned it out. Pretty even from top to bottom with a sweet sound. It's more focused than my Master Model using the same mouthpiece. I gave $40 for it, $20 for the pad kit, and a bit of my time to get it up and playing. It feels good in the hands. I really can't complain. Except it still has a bad case of the "Old Horn Funk".

It came back VERY dirty and sticky with bent keys on the lower joint, and the tip of the mouthpiece is all chipped up. It was a nice hard rubber piece on a Chedeville blank too. Dang kid.​

I wouldnt' go by the ebay seller pics. I've overhauled his overhauls before. Clarinets that buyers bought then sent to me for a "complete" overhaul.

i'm not sure how one exactly tells the quality of wood without having it in ones hands. Many times a black stained clarinet can have fillers, etc on it which makes the grain look really tight as the surface can be perfectly smooth. Even unstained you can use transparent fillers.

his pics are nice and shiny .. there's a couple ways of making it shiny .. some good .. some not so good

keep in mind, that the tenon caps can be added at any time. but from the pics and some investigation i assumed they were original

as for value ... it's hard to say. malerne pros go for a couple hundred. a no name stencil ? good question

send it with your FB when i get to it ... clean it up and unbend the keys

Last edited:
I shouldn't have too much trouble getting this one back into shape.

When I was redoing it I washed the body really well. It's got some very nice wood. I don't plan on selling this one any time soon. I'll keep it as a loaner.
Just maybe not to the same kid. :emoji_imp:

Hey, what about that movie project where you assemble that clarinet?

yeah, yeah, yeah ... i just figured out how to record on it. now i need a larger memory card for the camera .. care to donate a 8GB SD card to me ?

yeah, yeah, yeah ... i just figured out how to record on it. now i need a larger memory card for the camera .. care to donate a 8GB SD card to me ?

<checks pockets, finds 32MB card somewhere>
Uhm, that one's for short flicks only.

Back
Top Bottom