Lightweight bassoons case

I am looking for a bassoon gig bag for Puchner bassoon that is less than 5 pounds but good protection. Back issues. Using a duffle on wheels that holds everything but family I travel with has a problem with the size of the bag. It hold bassoon, clarinet, stand, plexiglass, heavy music folders neck air conditioner and small fan for outside concerts. Looking for something compact (backpack) but not the king bags. Please email me.

You might also want to specify a price range.

I did a quick Google because I had never heard of a bassoon gig bag, but I was pretty sure they existed. They can get very, very expensive, too.

Or you might consider making a custom one if you have craftman skillz. My wife did that for multi-instrument cases when she couldn't find what she wanted. I'm now 67 and I miss those days when my grandson would care my cases to a gig.

Musician's Friend has a Protec gig bag for $145.99 US with free shipping. It is backordered, but they won't charge you until shipped, plus if ordered using their 4th of July coupon code "JULY4", is 15% off or $124.09.

Protec PRO PAC Bassoon Case

541069000000000-02-500x500.jpg

541069000000000-00-500x500.jpg

I have a Protec Soprano Saxophone case, and it is a good quality case. It replaced the cheaper cloth covered foam one that it came with (zipper broke).

The above appears to be a hard case, not a gig bag, which is a very good thing. Gig bags are loved by repairmen, but not by me. I would never put my precious instrument in a gig bag.

Like yours, my Protec was great until the zipper broke. But the zipper on my MkVI case is still going strong after 50 years.

My Protec replaced an inexpensive Chinese molded foam covered in cloth case with a zipper. It did not replace another Protec case. Comparatively speaking Protec case has a heavier duty zipper.

Over time, any zipper will break with a lot use. personally, I prefer latches instead. But for the price, it is a much better case than what it replaced, and the exterior cloth covering is a better heavier duty weave, plus has addtional storage compartments for accessories my other case did not have.

Generally, I wait until one is available on clearance or sale. Also picked up a Protec gig bag for my alto. It is handy when I don't want a heavy case to tote around.

Last edited:
In most cities you'll find a place that does luggage repairs. My city has several. I've had zips replaced on instrument cases on several occasions, The place I use does excellent work at a very moderate cost compared with the cost of replacement. They also repair or replace hinges and catches.

You are fortunate where you are at. Here in rural US, our small city unfortunately does not have such a shop. The nearby larger cities of Lubbock and Amarillo, Texas and Roswell, New Mexico, all 95 miles away SE, NE, and S respectively each 95 miles away have the same situation.

Many of the small mom and pop shops that existed at one time even in small cities are no longer there. I remembered those, when I was younger in the 1960's. Just about everything in US is of chain stores belonging to a wider, major network. You might say, we here live in a disposable economy, even though we are a population of 38,000.

We now have a Dollar general store with cheap lower quality items on nearly every street corner, sad, but true.

In most cities you'll find a place that does luggage repairs. My city has several. I've had zips replaced on instrument cases on several occasions, The place I use does excellent work at a very moderate cost compared with the cost of replacement. They also repair or replace hinges and catches.
I have two vintage Selmer pochette clarinet cases that I should get repaired. They are so small they fit into my instrument carrry-all (with reeds, spare neck straps, etc.) I think I will check out your recommendation @Tony Fairbridge. The cases were considered throw-aways so I grabbed them before they hit the bin.

1689865918316.png

Back
Top Bottom