Looking for a Desmond-like modern mouthpiece

jbtsax

Distinguished Member
Distinguished Member
The Gregory 4As are getting scarce and very expensive. Does anyone have firsthand experience with a modern mouthpiece with a large round chamber an relatively small tip opening that when played with a harder reed will facilitate a Desmond-like sound. I already have the "concept" (thank you), I just need the set-up that will make that sound more accessible.

Is Hurlingfootmrig on this forum? I have read where he might have some information on this topic.

I have had some measure of success recreating the Desmond sound with a Morgan 3C. I think the chamber may be slightly larger than the Gregory but there's basically no baffle in either one. I was very surprised when I played the 3C on my Mark VI and I found that if I blew towards the roof of the mouthpiece that I could get a Desmond sound. I believe that I hold my horn out a little further from my body with the right hand which changes the angle that my mouthpiece comes into my horn when compared to Desmond. At least this is the impression that I have based on seeing myself in photos and seeing Desmond play in videos and photos.

Thanks. I have just ordered a 3C from "Junkdude" to try. I have always believed that Desmond who started out as a clarinetist brought a clarinet embouchure to the saxophone. Rather than getting the typical "pinched" sound that playing near the top of the pitch generally creates, I think that having such a large round chambered mouthpiece, playing on a stiffer reed, and having such a full lower lip to dampen the reed allowed Desmond to get a pure "flute-like" sound---especially in the upper octaves.

Back
Top Bottom