Looking for Bass Clarinet Case

saxhound

Staff member
CE/Moderator
I just picked up an Artley low Eb bass from David Spiegelthal. This is the one piece body horn with the Eb on the body, not the bell. As a result, it seemed likes the aftermarket cases like the ProTec and DEG may not work. Does anyone know what case will work, or better yet, do you have one for sale?

Protec PB-319 *do* fit. (I have an Artley, and a "long" Jupiter (Eb on body), and the PB319 fits both. Excellent case.

Protec PB-319 *do* fit. (I have an Artley, and a "long" Jupiter (Eb on body), and the PB319 fits both. Excellent case.

I should add that the current model has a block of foam that can be removed for exactly that purpose. Be sure you get a case from the actual production run as the older one is shorter indeed and will not fit Eb-on-Body basses.

Good info. I sent an e-mail to ProTec, but haven't heard back yet. Their web site says that the external dimension is 36", and my body tube is 35.25", so perhaps that is an old description.

I think you can't edit your posts here because it is "The Mall".

Correcto Mundo on the editing thing.
Que?

That is, is it, "You are correct in pointing out that there's a problem" or "I have seen the problem and fixed it for you"?

Eh. I'll just check ....

===============

Edit: I'm just dense. TTT, it's supposed to be that way. This is the Mall area. It's set that way because we didn't want folks to modify their sales ads after they were posted.

Anyhow, there is also time limit on editing posts in other Forum areas. This was set because we didn't want people that were about to be banned editing all their posts (i.e. "defacing the forum"). I've set this to 1 day; it was set to 20 minutes. There's also a setting for editing the title of a thread. This was also set to 20 minutes. I've set it to 1 hour.

I also checked the usergroups, as each has an on or off setting for editing. Those are set to on for the other forum areas.

Problem solved!

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, I didn't realize I was in the mall.
I just smell Food Court and then I bite. :emoji_flushed:

Mmmmm. Food court. I want a cinnamon-covered pretzel.

I do too. But I still need a case! ProTec e-mail says no go - internal case length is only 33.75".

I could do a Pelican rifle case with the pluckable foam, but they weigh 16 lbs.

At times, I have thought of going the Pelican case route, but sloth and inertia have kept me from doing so. So, I continue to soldier on with my much-repaired, slowly disintegrating Selmer case. Sigh...

An update of the new Protec Case:

Mine can accomodate a body of max. 90 cm (35.5 in) in length.

The walls are less than 1 cm thick which would then give an outside length of a bit over 36 inches.

An update of the new Protec Case:

Mine can accomodate a body of max. 90 cm (35.5 in) in length.

The walls are less than 1 cm thick which would then give an outside length of a bit over 36 inches.

That would work. Did you need to remove a block of foam to get that length? I'm wondering if the person from Protec who measured didn't realize there was something removable there.

The dilemma is making sure I get one of the new ones, and not someone's old stock. I have called the local music stores, but nobody has one in stock, so it's special order only, and that means no returns.

Yes, I had to remove a foam block, or rather swap the position of said block and the neck cradle (that with that semicircle cutout).

The photos in a previous link make it somewhat clearer, and also show the looks of the old vs the new case.

I found my notes on the case maker up in WI

They were (for some odd reason) showing up as a bit of Flash programming (why, I have no idea), but after some fiddling around, I got the note open in Apple's Pages word processing program. Here is is in its totality:

A 1-piece Bass Clarinet Case for $95.00 plus shipping ($10.00) at
1-800 USABAND (tel:1-800-843-1938) They have a "captive" case maker who used to
work for Conn. Hard shell wooden, vinyl covering etc. They also have Selmer
cases, blemished--minor cosmetic nicks etc) at the same price. All kinds of
cases in stock. They deal mostly with beginning bands etc., and replacement
cases etc. Talk to Mr. LaVar Wheery. Fine gent.

To emphasis here, these are comments from someone else. I do not (as a general rule) use the term "gent" in written communications...

Back
Top Bottom