Untitled Document

Advertisement Click to advertise with us!

Looking for metal clarinet barrel

I am interested in buying metal clarinet barrels, which have a connector to fit on the outside of the clarinet tennon. Please LMK by PM if you have any you are willing to part with.

These seem to be the hardest ones to find. I've been looking for one to put on my bargain find Silver King Bb clarinet. I ended up cobbling up one together using a male neck along with a flute part that snugly fit over the clarinet tenon. Currently held together with electrician's tape.

Best of luck, and if you find two of them, let me know!

Steve

eBay is the normal way to go here. I ended up replacing a mangled (removed with a pipe wrench, from the size and bite of the markings) adjustable barrel from my Selmer up-end metal clarinet with an A clarinet barrel bought on eBay. Although on a Bb horn, it works just fine.

Metal clarinets are usually found in a badly abused state. This is partially due to the trend away from them by the 1930s, resulting in their being stored in bad conditions for a very long time, and partially due to the fact that many were placed in the case with the barrel installed on the instrument. Just why cases were constructed in this fashion is one of the great mysteries of the clarinet world, but made that way they were, and those who try to play these older instruments often have to pay the price.

(And, this is where a certain individual posts the photograph of his flawless Selmer Bb and A full Boehm clarinets in glorious silver-plate. Sometime the internet is a conduit for envy...)

Here's a different idea for you Chris. Instead of posting the pictures, I'll send you my address and you can post the actual clarinets to me!!

You definitely must!!!

:)

Here's a different idea for you Chris. Instead of posting the pictures, I'll send you my address and you can post the actual clarinets to me!!

You definitely must!!!

:)

I could be teasing, and just post my Silver King

silverking.jpg

Silverkingincase.jpg

Or add in one of my Couesnon metal clarinets

IMG_7213.jpg

IMG_7209.jpg

And leave the audience wanting more.......

Chris

I thought that, by reason of my advocacy for metal clarinets, that I had first claim on the Selmer pair...

I've a regular orch gig - I regularly use A clarinets!

Plus they would look so nice on stage with my metal eefer!

Hell, I used one tonight; we're doing In To The Woods, and I got shanghaied into playing the weird clarinet part which switches to A clarinet for no apparent reason (i.e., it doesn't use the extended range, and the key isn't that extreme).

I'm going to have to buy a double stand, since I gave my little folding pegs away to young clarinet players over the past fifteen years. (I did check the bore of the A horn for spiders before I started playing it.

I love Sondheim's stuff, but this one is for the garbage chute. If I wasn't being paid and paid well, I'd not do it.

Hell, I used one tonight; we're doing In To The Woods, and I got shanghaied into playing the weird clarinet part which switches to A clarinet for no apparent reason (i.e., it doesn't use the extended range, and the key isn't that extreme).

I'm going to have to buy a double stand, since I gave my little folding pegs away to young clarinet players over the past fifteen years. (I did check the bore of the A horn for spiders before I started playing it.

I love Sondheim's stuff, but this one is for the garbage chute. If I wasn't being paid and paid well, I'd not do it.

Agree. I got sucked into that one a few years back on violin. Not a memorable thing in the show, or am I blocking it out? hmmm...

I +1 this post.

I've been a fan of his website for years. His reviews of various horns are quite interesting.

Back
Top Bottom